Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2012 Notes-can access in future? Moveable to outlook?

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Act 2012 Notes-can access in future? Moveable to outlook?

In Act 2012, where are notes stored? in the .ADF file? My work requirements have lessen, so may leave pricey ACT but still would like to have access to many years of notes stored in Act. How could I have access to those notes?

Could they be imported into Outlook?

Would a total system backup help make notes accessible in some manner?   

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author dwayne
‎07-16-2016 09:23 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2012 Notes-can access in future? Moveable to outlook?

How much do you know about SQL table structure? The ACT! database is composed of around 150 separate tables (I don't have the exact number without extra research. The notes table mainly has the date, time, details, and record creator information. It must be linked to other tables to have context meaning.

Here's the link to the best exporter.

http://www.jltechnical.com/exporter.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQjwnv27BRCmuZqMg_Ddmt0BEiQAgeY1l4PYhs0L-8WvWas7l6...

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies

ACT! is a multi table SQL database. The notes are one table in the ACT! database. The notes table by itself would be meaningless. To export the notes you would need a third party exporter. For the exported information to have any meaning you would need a program comparable to ACT! to display the data. That wouldn't be Outlook. In my estimation the least expensive option for continued access to your data would be the ACT! program.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi Roy, I plan to upgrade from ACT! by Sage 2009 (11.0) Version 11.1.183.0, Hotfix 1 to Act or to Act Online. However I was curious about your answer herein. If the Note Table by itself in a standard SQL Database is meaningless, can't the data within the table be exported by any compatible delimiter and then imported into the SQL Database in Outlook? If not, why not? Is the data the same as the notes in your reference?

If you need a third party exporter, which one would be preferable? What programs are able to convert the data to a format readable by Outlook? If the notes file type is .??xx in Act 2009, and the file type is .pst in Outlook wouldn't there be a .??xx to .pst available on the web?

I agree with you that simply upgrading would be the best solution. But I still find the question interesting and hope that you or another reader will discuss answers and other solutions to a conversion in this thread. Thank you.

Re: Now won't backup. Act 2012 Notes-can access in future? Moveable to outlook?

I go to act/act data/database/   and find a file I seldom use titled “ghsalum”7-8-16 listed as up to date even though I have not used it in many months  .

My major file that I use daily is  “mycontacts2011.adf & alf is dated as 6-17-16.  Obviously not tracking changes I made to ACT today.  Why isn’t  it showing a file dated today 7-8-16?

I go to Act,File,Backup,Database and say backup to same name file “mycontacts2011.zip” and get this error message.

Error message: Cannot insert duplicate key row in object “sys.syscommitab’ with unique index ‘si_xdes_id’.  The duplicate key value is (208-3196) failed to flush the commit table to disk in dbid9 due to error 2601…

I go to File/Backup/Database/ and change the file backup name and get the same error message.

What does that mean?  Act seems to make even its error messages indecipherable to humanoids.  Y can’t I backup “mycontacts2011” to a file called “mycontacts2011-16.zip”?

Is Act saving my up to date (mycontacts2011) file that I work on daily?  Where?

Accessible by Fbook Linkedin? Re: Act 2012 Notes-can access in future? Moveable to outlook?

Will Act 2016 allow social media groups like Facebook and LinkedIn to access Act’s databases?  Will Act at least allow the Act e-mail addresses to be accessed and be used by Facebook and Linkedin. 

Facebook and LinkedIn can access Outlook databases.  Can Act now allow Facebook and Linked in to do that? 

Solution
Accepted by topic author dwayne
‎07-16-2016 09:23 AM

How much do you know about SQL table structure? The ACT! database is composed of around 150 separate tables (I don't have the exact number without extra research. The notes table mainly has the date, time, details, and record creator information. It must be linked to other tables to have context meaning.

Here's the link to the best exporter.

http://www.jltechnical.com/exporter.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQjwnv27BRCmuZqMg_Ddmt0BEiQAgeY1l4PYhs0L-8WvWas7l6...

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129