Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2011

pse
Copper Contributor

Act 2011

My boss has upgraded to Act 2011.  According to what I have read, she is allowed a copy of the software on her desktop, laptop and if the data will reside on our server, the server.  Now she wants to create a database which she can access with either her desktop or laptop while in the office.  Both computers have been set up to connect to our server.  First, does the database have to be created on her desktop or laptop then saved to the server?  I tried to create a database on her laptop however, it would not let me share the database.  Second, how can I set it up that each computer will be recognized as a user for the database? I may have more questions once the first two are answered.

Thanks,

Tracy

Silver Contributor

Re: Act 2011

You would need to put the master database on the server, then set up synchronization on the server. Once this is done, the laptop and desktop could both sync to the server.   Adding users is done via tools, manage users from the server database.

Steps are a little lengthy, let me know if you need them and I'll dig them up.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

pse
Copper Contributor

I would really appreciate it if you could dig up those steps to be sure I do it correctly.

Thanks,

Tracy

pse
Copper Contributor

I did create the database on the server and closed the file.  Then went to the laptop and tried to open the file.  I am not able to open the .pad file.  It gives me the usual cannot connect to the database possibly because of the firewall.  I then tried to open the .adf file and it states that I do not have permission to open the database.  Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tracy

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Tracy,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. In regards to your question, the first thing you should know is that the .ADF file for the database can only be used to open the database from the machine that is hosting...not through a network. Client machines must use the .PAD file. Concerning the "database [database name] cannot be accessed..." error, there are several possible causes for this error. Please see KB Article 19640 for a list of these causes and suggested solutions.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Silver Contributor

Thanks Greg, you beat me to it.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider