Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2011 unable to access database after installing handheld contacts demo

Tuned Listener

Act 2011 unable to access database after installing handheld contacts demo

I was trying handheld contacts to sync to an iphone. The problem is now their can't access my database on my laptop. It says to check the server or network connection but I have not used a remote database, only on my hard drive. Handheld contacts says it all looks good on their end and must be an act problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2011 unable to access database after installing handheld contacts demo

Is the database on the laptop or the server?
Did you try to install Handheld Contact on the laptop or the server?

Hello kelleym1,
See if the SQL Server service is started, per this Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2821...

If it is, then this article offers additional causes/solutions:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1964...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

Thanks for the fast response. I installed it on my laptop. I am the only user on this database. I have never set up a remote, my database is on my laptop.

Tuned Listener

tried all of the solutions for a local database, nothing helped. I tried to start a new database and it came back with there is an error connecting with the Microsoft SQL server.

Have you checked to make sure the SQL Server service on your machine is started? The first KB article in my previous reply provides instructions for doing this.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

Yes, I followed the instructions. Both services were started, I restarted each. When i tried to open act I got the same message

--------------------------- Error --------------------------- The database mwkelley could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server.

Press F1 for a troubleshooting guide. --------------------------- OK   Help   ---------------------------

KB Article 19640 provides additional solutions for this error (damaged .pad file, firewall, User Account Control, etc.).

Greig Hollister

Tuned Listener

I followed these instructions as well. The only other thing I can think of is I just updated with hotfix 5. Could that have affected this