Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2011 sync hangs in initialize

Act 2011 sync hangs in initialize

Hi

I moved my ACT! 2011 to a new machine and installed Office 2010. I am running with SP1, HotFix 6. This is on a new machine with Windows 7 Home premium, 10GB of memory and 1.5TB of disk, so the issue isn't likely enough capacity. Originally I installed the 64 bit version, then learned it wasn't compatible. I uninstalled Office 2010 64 bit and installed Office 2010 32 bit.

The Act! addin is active in Outlook. Outlook sees the proper Act! address book. Act! sees Outlook as the email program. So, they do see each other, but don't want to talk to each other. I've set up my preferences as well.

So far I have gone through the knowledge base and did the reasonable things such as removing the sync folder mentioned in one KB article. I also looked for the metadata files in the app data suggested by another article, but they weren't there.

I tried to initiate the sync from the icons in Outlook, but when I do, it says "You must select synchronization preferences before you can synchronize your Act! and Outlook calendar. Would you like to select your preferences now?" If I try to sync contacts, I get the same message but it says "contacts" instead of calendar. As I said above, I did set up my preferences in Act!.

I have reinstalled Act! a couple times. It's a pain as I need update to SP1 then to HF6. Very time consuming.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thak you

Nickel Contributor

Re: Act 2011 sync hangs in initialize

Go to Help / Select About ACT! and click on Database information.
this runs scripts in the background to correct issues when Office has been installed after ACT! *V14 and above I believe
Travis Rosevear ACC for
Act Today Australia and New Zealand
Bronze Super Contributor

What Travis said Smiley Happy

plus,

I've found that going to the Windows Control Panel | Mail and manualing adding the ACT! Address book, and running the C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows\Act.Outlook.Repair.exe has also helped.

Ben.

Ben and Travis,

Thank you for your help.

I went to the about Act! and selected the dastabase button, but that didn't help. I then went to the Mail control panel item and brought it up. Everything looked fine. Did you want me to manually re-add the information?

I then went to run the Act.outlook.repair.exe file, but it seems I do not have one. Is it version specific? Can I find it online?

Thansk again for your help.

Russ

Bronze Super Contributor

Ah, yes, the Act.Outlook.Repair.exe is version specific, it is only available in Sage ACT! 2012.

I found an additional anomoly. When I click on an email address in Act!, it does bring up an outlook email window. So I can initiate emails. It will also post a history of the email in the client's record. So, there is some communication between Act! and Outlook, it just won't sync.

Thanks,

Russ

Hi,

I splved the issue.

After installing Office 2010 32 bit, I did not re-install Act! 2011. I realize Act! is somewhat picky and may need to be installed after other applications (I learned about the issues of Act! and Quickbooks a long time ago).

I reinstyalled Act! and everything started working.

Ta (Thank you)

Russ

Worked for me .. Thanks