05-05-2012 09:34 AM - last edited on 05-09-2012 06:28 AM by gmartin
Have a client who has had issues with ACT 2011 in that it runs slow and sometimes the data does not appear in the fields. New machine with Windows7 Pro 64-bit and we upgraded to 8GB of RAM.
[edit: updated subject to match question]
05-09-2012 06:34 AM
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!
Can you provide some additional information:
- Is this a shared database?
- If yes, do other users also experience the issue?
- Is there a particular function that is slow? Ex: opening database, creating activity, performing Lookup...
- Can you provide more detail to 'sometimes the data does not appear in the fields'?
Is it always the same fields?
If you refresh (F5) does that make the data appear?
If you check the Contact List view and add the particular field to the columns, does the data appear?
- Can you quantify 'slow' > how long is it taking to do the function (1 second, 10 seconds, 30 seconds...)?
- Is it always slow? Or does it get progressively slower after working in the database throughout the day?
- Open the ACT! Demo database and test response time within it. This will determine if the response time is an issue within the database or not. (Demo database username is 'Chris Huffman', there is no password)
06-11-2014 03:17 PM - edited 06-11-2014 03:37 PM
Hi I am having in issue with my Act ! Pro 2011 hot fix 1 running only on my Laptop Windows 7 pro 64 bit 8 gb memory.
After reading this i checked and the demo runs smooth but my database seems to be the problem causing it to hang up when i try to make any changes I get a notice Act not responding.
FYI - I did do a merge of 2 databases recent and made the matters worse, maybe i merged it incorrect but i do notice the .PAD file of my database name is not modifying, . the . ADF file and .alf file is. I am sure that has something to do with my issue.
Any suggestions? Thank you.
06-11-2014 04:15 PM
The pad file won't change, it;s just a pointer. Have you tried running database maintenance?
06-11-2014 06:24 PM
06-12-2014 01:10 PM
06-12-2014 01:26 PM
Because most laptops have a 5400 rpm hard drive (the preferred is 7300 rpm or faster), ACT! will tend to run slower on a laptop especially if the database is any size. Because the problem is database specific the chances are that the database has internal problem. Things you can try, remove cleared activities than 60 days. The ACTDIAG utility has sme additional maintenance that you can try. However I suspect that you are going to require database repair to remove the internal problems.
06-14-2014 08:22 AM - edited 06-14-2014 08:24 AM
Close ACT!2011 and all other applications such as office word, outlook etc.
List your database
select deired db using button to left of db name
run the REBUILD options( schema, etc...)
Detach desired database
Open desired act database using the .adf file instead of the .pad file -
your db will get verified and be perfect again except for one thing.
ACT!2011 s_(fill in the blank). It looses data.. When you first open your 2011 db. wait 3 or 4 minutes b4 you start using it.
Then hit the save key often to save your work as you go. Hit the save key before you exit any record item.
I use 2011 pro everyday for many years. Save your work as you go and take daily backups of your db and your personal file items.
Try v16.. FSB