Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2011 not importing vcards

Copper Contributor

Act 2011 not importing vcards

I'm using Office 2010 and Act 2011 Premium on Windows 7 (all 32 bit). I read in a previous post that you can open vcards (.vcf files) with ActSage.exe and it would import that contact into Act.

This does not function in Act 2011. When I open the .vcf with ActSage.exe, I do see the import dialog box open but the contact is never imported regardless of what options are chosen. The contact is not already in the database and it's simply merging without me knowing it.

Has anyone else seen this? Anyone gotten this to work? Thank you.

-D
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2011 not importing vcards

I happen to have exactly this same problem right now and found this thread when I searched the Forum.

I'm using ACT! 2011 Premium and have the same exact problem. I right click on the Vcard, open with ACT!, get the dialog box, but the process completes without importing the (new) contact.

Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it? 

Copper Super Contributor

Have you reported this as a bug to Sage? In the meantime, there is an addon here that can do the job.

vCard Utility for ACT!

http://www.rbrdatasolutions.com/products.htm

Copper Elite Contributor

I don't know if this is a bug, and regardless, I don't want to pay for an add-on for a capability built into ACT! That really makes no sense.

Skilled Commentator

The same is happen for me since I re-installed Act! 2011. It used to work but I can't remember if I did something to make it work. Trying to import / merge a vcf from LinkedIn (did did work before).

Copper Elite Contributor

I actually wound up plunking down the $ for the add on since I needed the capability. It's a shame that this is advertised as being built into ACT! but doesn't work, just like the Google integration doesn't work correctly and I wound up having to go back to CompanionLink for a capability that's supposed to be built into ACT!

Quite pathetic actually.

Skilled Commentator

I figured it out! I can (you can) now import / merge a VCard from LinkedIn or anywhere else directly into ACT!.

Steps:

1) Open any folder in Windows Explorer

2) Select Tools then Folder Options

3) Select the File Types tab

4) Scroll down and highlight Extension VCF, vCard file

5) Click the Advance button then the Edit button 

6) In the Application used to perform action box type "C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\ActSage.exe" /v "%1" or wherever ACT is on your computer. Note it's the ActSage.exe file (a least for ACT 2011).

The exact syntax is important.

a) Quotes around the path then 

b) Space /v space - without quotes then

c) Quote %1 quote.

7) You can type ACT! in the Application box - not necessary.

8) Click the OK button

If you want to change the icon to ACT! - not necessary

1) Click the Change Icon button

2) Click Browse to or type C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\ActSage.exe. No quotes.

No additional software needed just part of Windows. I hope this helps.

Copper Contributor

having problem changing "open with"

I am using Win 7

FIle type tab is not there

I have tried doing file association but it keeps taking me to browse programs

Cant seem to find away to to add " /v "%1

Thanks

Tom David Moxam