Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2011 is SLOW

Act 2011 is SLOW

My only experience with Act prior to purchasing Act 2011 was experimenting with the trial of 2010 and the demo database. Since I use Outlook 2010, I wasn't able to test the Outlook-to-Act e-mail attaching feature. 

After purchasing--and installing--Act 2011 earlier this week, I find that a number of functions are a bit slow at best. (And this with a database of only 23 contacts as of this writing, since I haven't been able to get Act to import my Outlook contacts and have been adding them on the fly as I work.) Attaching an e-mail message in Outlook to an Act record seems especially slow. Thirty seconds is about the shortest time it's been able to retrieve an Act record (from fewer than two dozen??) and release Outlook so that I can continue working.

I'm admittedly not on the speediest system; an aging 2 GHz Pentium 4 maxed out with 2GB RAM. And in addition to Act and Outlook, I typically need to have two or four other applications open to do my work. Just how much computer do I need to get acceptable performance out of Act? (So that  it's not stumbling over itself as I'm trying to access information when a customer happens to call.) My intention has been to eventually place the database on a server, and purchase a few more copies of Act so that others can access customer records as needed. But can I expect reasonable performance on a network if I can't get it on a local machine?

And finally, why doesn't Act allow me the option of attaching an e-mail message to an opportunity instead of a contact? (As Avidian's Prophet or even Microsoft's Business Contact Manager allowed me to do.) Most of the e-mail messages I want to reference from within Act relate to a particular job, and once the job has shipped I don't need to see them again. They just add to the clutter in the history panel of a contact who is a repeat customer.

Master Commentator

Re: Act 2011 is SLOW

Hello,

I thought it was just my imigination about ACT 2011 being slow. I have it installed on a laptop that is about 2 months old. Besides Windows 7, the only other software I have installed is Office 2010.

The laptop has 4 gb of ddr3 ram (as someone said, that's the good kind). Since I'm not using it right now, I can't look up the GHz, but it is a dual core machine.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Most likely it has a 5400 RPM hard drive and thet will seriously effect performance.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Silver Contributor

I had a slowness with a couple of my machines. Turns out. ACT was still running the SQL 2005.  I upgraded to SQL 2008 and that helped significantly (activities were taking 20 seconds to clear).  Improved it to much faster.

On the machine (server) that houses your ACT databsae, run ACT diag and see if SQL 2008 is what ACT is using.  If it is not, look at KB 27114  How to Upgrade an Existing ACT7 Instance to SQL Server® 2008 R2

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Master Commentator

My hard drive is 7200 rpm.

No doubt faster drives would help. And I'm reasonably certain that I'm using the correct server (MS SQL Server 2008 R2, which Act installed) but I suspect that the more relevant constraint is lack of system memory when toggling between Act and other applications. 

It's the integration of Act with Outlook that seems especially problematic. It takes a minimum of thirty seconds, when attaching an e-mail message in Outlook to a contact in Act, for Outlook/Act to look up and present the appropriate contact, during which time the system is unavailable for doing anything else. I conclude that something is amiss because for the past few months prior I've been using the beta version of Microsoft's Business Contact Manager, with the beta of Outlook 2010, and it was an order of magnitude faster than Act at interfacing with its SQL database. 

Copper Contributor

ACT 2011 is running slow for us, as well. Been using every ACT release for the last 5 years. This one is the slowest. Database resides on a Windows Server 2003 box with high speed drives, gigabit ethernet, etc.

Installation of ACT from the DVD mandated upgrading the SQL Server ... was forced to remove the ACT7 SQL instance before it would perform the installation.

So, I "think" I am running the SQL 2008 Express server. Some of this is beyond me.

At any rate... ACT 2011 goes into "Not Responding" status for just about every transaction one attempts with it. Very irritating and time consuming.

Guess I'll have to call tech support.

Bronze Elite Contributor

It is a long time since 5400 rpm hard drives were manufactured, anything today, even on notebooks, is going to be at least 7200rpm.  With speed / response concerns, the first thing to do is compare  the responsiveness of the demo database against your production database, at the same location.    

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Contributor

According to the Tech Support chap who just reviewed our server and workstation configurations, ACT 2011 can only tolerate 100 active alarms (aka scheduled events). Since we have 4 active users that means we can only schedule 25 activities per user.

Looks like we are being forced to restrict our sales activities to allow for the software downgrade to ACT 2011.  :-(

gimme a break!

Nickel Super Contributor

Are you sure he didn't mean 100 alarms going off at one time and snoozing them over and over?  You can have more than 100 scheduled activities in your database at one time.  Either there was some miscommunication or you were just told incorrectly.  

Michael Matthews
Bridge Concepts, Inc.
Fort Worth, TX
www.bridgeconcepts.com