Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2011 Remote Database Restore Issue

Act 2011 Remote Database Restore Issue

I'm trying to restore my database on my new machine, a Win 7 64-bit Professional OS.  I can open the main database across the network with no problem.  When I attempt to restore my remote database, I get the following error:

Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'DATATYPEID', table

'name.dbo.TBL_SYSCOLUMN'; column does not allow nulls.

INSERT fails.

PRC_UPD_TABLECOLUMN: TBL_SYSCOLUMN

The statement has been terminated

Does anyone have any suggestions, fixes, or links to KB articles on this?

I'm using Sage ACT! Premium (Web) 2011 Version: 13.1.105.0

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Act 2011 Remote Database Restore Issue

Can you successfully backup and restore a copy of the demo database on your local machine?

How far into the unpacking of the remote do you see the message - right up front or after it has run for a bit?

I was going to try the backup & restore method next.  I believe to do that, the machine names will have to be the same, right?

The error happens about 30 seconds into the restore process.  It looks like everything is running OK, the status bar moves to about 50%, then it hits the error and backs everything out, leaving me with that warning message.

Bronze Super Contributor

Ok - we need a little more clarification.

When you say you are trying to "restore" the remote on the new machine, is this a remote that you backed up from an old/other PC and you are now attempting to restore to the Win 7 machine?

You can only do a "restore" to the same machine it was made on.  Nothing can change

"Restore As" is for restoring a backup where you will be giving the database a new name and/or a new place to live.

"Unpack and restore" is for deploying a remote database for the very first time (and only that time!)

If you are attempting to redeploy an existing remote database onto a different machine w/o breaking sync, then you want to look at the KB article:

kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19817/

I'm doing a "restore as" from the main database.  I still have the old remote database on my old computer, but that's been synced and abandoned.

Bronze Super Contributor

Ok, so I am confused.

What exactly are you looking to do...

My apologies....  Let me try this again....  Smiley Happy

I purchased a new notebook PC.  On my old notebook, I was running a remote database.  I did a final synchronization to the main database and now the old laptop is not being used.

After I did all the work on the old laptop I installed Act on my new notebook PC.  I went to the main database on our company server and re-created a new remote database.  I took the newly created file, placed it on my desktop on my new PC.  Then I opened the Act client and did a restore - "Unpack and Restore Remote Database".  About 50% through the restore process on the new machine, the error occurs. 

On my new PC, through the Act client,  I am able to load up the main database that resides on the server and use it without any problems.

Bronze Super Contributor

I couldn't find anything in the KBs that match up...

Have you tried running a check and repair on the "master" and then creating the remote?

It's a stretch - have you tried turning of Win 7 User Access Control.