Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 2011 Pro synch question

Act! 2011 Pro synch question

I am a long-time user of Act! Version 6.03. I have used it for years since it continues to work well for me. I am a single user, running the device on two machines, a desktop at work and a desktop at home. I currently keep both machines updated by synching to a memory stick that also has a copy of the database. I do a send/receive synch to each machine daily.

I just purchased a PC running Windows 7 Pro (64-bit). Act! is working for me in XP mode; however, I would like to consider an upgrade to Act! 2011 Pro since I am now running Outlook 2010. It is my understanding that the database-to-database synch function is no longer an option in the new version of Act!.

How would I be able to synch my two desktop machines?

Maury

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act! 2011 Pro synch question

Actually the only synchronization with ACT! 2011 is database to database BUT the database must reside on a local hard drive because the database must be connected to the SQL server. Your best bet is to use Hamachi to set up a virtual private network between your two computers and sync that way. Here is a link to a knowledgebase document on setting up sync using Hamachi.

http://tinyurl.com/5cbkr2

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Highlighted

Thanks, I will review your link.

Maury

Bronze Super Contributor

For clarification:

You will decide that one of the systems is the "master"/publisher database - likely the office.  From this machine, you will create a remote database that will be installed on the home PC.

Once the remote database is installed and running on the home PC, you will always initiate sync from the home PC.  This will update both databases at the same time.

The hamachi application does not have anything to do with the sync per se, it is merely acting as a conduit between the two locations - kind like what you USB stick was in Act! 6.03.

Also, perhaps does not need to be said, but the Office PC will need to be running and if using Act! Pro, Act! must be left running on the PC.