Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2011 Pro - Share, Sync or both?

Act 2011 Pro - Share, Sync or both?

I am new to Act and I am installing 2011 Pro for 3 users - 2 use stationary desktop computers and one uses a notebook computer that is in and out of the office. 

Here is what I think I know:

1. I can install 2011 Pro on a server machine that will be used as the main database only - since this machine will not use the ACT application itself I can reuse the serial number on one of the 3 client computers.

2. Should I NOT install the SQL Server 2008 database on the 2 desktop computers and just have then share the main database?

3. Should I install SQL Server 2008 on the notebook computer and then it can either share the main database or sync with it?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Leon

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2011 Pro - Share, Sync or both?

lls55 wrote:

1. I can install 2011 Pro on a server machine that will be used as the main database only - since this machine will not use the ACT application itself I can reuse the serial number on one of the 3 client computers.

Not an issue, the licenses are to the named user.

2. Should I NOT install the SQL Server 2008 database on the 2 desktop computers and just have then share the main database?

You will have to install the SQL server on each machine but you would share the database on the server.

3. Should I install SQL Server 2008 on the notebook computer and then it can either share the main database or sync with it?

Yes.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Leon

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Dear Roy,

Last week  installed ACT 2011 Pro on 4 diffrent PC(Windows7) without SQL (by mistake) and the SQL and database file is on  another Windows 2008 Server machine but seems working Ok so far somehow. 

But as I read this thread, because you said 'You will have to Install the SQL server on each machine... " , I would like to fix it before too late.

1. Do you recommend me to uninstall ACT2011 Pro from all 4 PC and reinstall ?

2. Wiil users lost all of their config as well as customied screen forms? 

3. After the reinstallation (if I have to), can I copy the db file to each PC's HDD?

4. Why each PC has to have own database which is all the same by Sync anyway?

Pat

Thanks in advance.

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Pat,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

If you are accessing a shared database (on the server), you do not 'have' to have SQL installed on the workstations.  Accessing the shared database uses the SQL installation on the host machine.  There are some features that will not be available due to the absense of SQL, such as import or create a database.

You will not need an additional database on each computer since you are accessing the shared database. 

The only time you would want to put a database on a workstation would be in a synchronization situation.  Most often this would be on a laptop so the remote database could be updated while not connected to the network and then synchronized when connected to the network.  In this situation you would need to have SQL installed so that the remote database can be accessed.

Greg Martin
Sage

Many thanks.

Hi,

I've got similar situation with Pat.

In that case,

1. Can I install MS-SQL 2008 on top of current ACT! ?

2. If I have both local database and remore shared database, how does ACT! know which one is master(shared) database ?

Thanks in advance,

Ted