Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2011 Premium with SQL real world hardware recommendations.

Act 2011 Premium with SQL real world hardware recommendations.

I would like some hardware and OS advice for our upcoming Act 2011 upgrade which will consist of data from existing Premium 2006 and Act! 2000 data. We will have about 20 users that will be syncing their laptops and about 50 that will have web access to about 30k contacts. Were planning on a dedicated SQL server, Application server, and Sync server. We've already purchased our SQL and sync servers but I'm unsure of the application server. The current DB server is a 2008R2 dual Quad-Core E5620's with 2-146gb 15k drivers in raid-1 for the OS and 4 in raid-10 for the SQL database with 12gb of ram.

For the application/webserver from what I understand Act and IIS have to run in 32bit mode if using 2008R2 so will I gain performance with additional memory over the 4-gig limit, say 12gb? What about slower dual quad-core versus a faster single quad core, will the Act application use the additonal cores or is that a waste of money? Is raid-1 with 15k sas drives sufficient or will raid-10 improve performance on the application/webserver.

Also what is the most efficient location for attachments? On the same array as SQL, a seperate array on the SQL/DB server or on a seperate array on the application/webserver?

As far as the sync server it sounds like server 2008 standard 32bit is the best way to go?

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated on any of the three server's hardware and software.

Thank You,

Mike W

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Act 2011 Premium with SQL real world hardware recommendations.

Hello 1wheeler1,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

While I can't answer from personal experience to the hardware questions, here is an link to the Sage ACT! White Papers which contains an article concerning scalability and system recommendations: Sage ACT! White Papers.

And in case you have not seen this, here is an article which contains the Web Administrator's Guide: KB Article 26795

Greg Martin
Sage