Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2010 will not start after install - ACT! by Sage has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Act 2010 will not start after install - ACT! by Sage has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

[ Edited ]

I was running Act 2009 previously before performing the upgrade install of Act 2010 today. Everything seemed to progress through the install just fine. It automatically uninstalled the Act 2009 version and installed the Act 2010 version. When I got to the final dialog and had it start up Act - I got the standard Windows fatal error dialog with the above message.

So I tried running the install again - which uninstalled and then reinstalled 2010. Same result.

Thinking it might be due to the database - I tried double clicking on the demo database for 2010 - same result.

I was able to run the db diagnostics tool successfully and view the list of databases, etc. 

Then I looked in the Event Viewer and noticed that there were .Net runtime errors triggered every time I tried to run Act. Here is an example of one of those events:

.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.3082 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (7A0979C6) (80131506)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Of course when I clicked on the link - I get essentially a page not found on the Microsoft site. So that wasn't helpful at all. I then did a Windows Update and there was an update listed for the .Net runtime - which I performed. After rebooting - I tried to start up Act again - but got the same error.

At this point I am not sure what the problem might be - but needless to say I am dead in the water - would like to not have to revert to the previous version - but will certainly do that if I can't get past this problem.

Any advice would be appreciated...

Message Edited by srj@mindspring.com on 09-20-2009 09:45 AM

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Act 2010 will not start after install - ACT! by Sage has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I figured out the problem after trying a bunch of other things including upgrading to SP3 and all of the latest fixes beyond that, doing a repair install of the .Net software, etc.

The only way I could get it to work was to first uninstall the 2010 version, physically delete the folder containing the software under the Program Files directory and then reinstalling 2010. Only thing that makes sense is that old files existed from previous versions of the software that were causing a problem. Doing the delete of the program directory kept these files from hanging around.

So beware - even though the install says it is uninstalling 2009 - in my experience that did not get rid of everything under the program files / act sub and those leftovers caused problems. It could very well be that the leftovers weren't from 2009 version but from a previous version. I had 2007 version I think installed previously to the 2009 version - so it could have been leftovers from that version, I suppose.

So - once I did the phyiscal delete and then reinstalled 2010 - I was able to open and successfully migrate my database to the 2010 version. So far things seem to be working ok.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Act 2010 will not start after install - ACT! by Sage has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I figured out the problem after trying a bunch of other things including upgrading to SP3 and all of the latest fixes beyond that, doing a repair install of the .Net software, etc.

The only way I could get it to work was to first uninstall the 2010 version, physically delete the folder containing the software under the Program Files directory and then reinstalling 2010. Only thing that makes sense is that old files existed from previous versions of the software that were causing a problem. Doing the delete of the program directory kept these files from hanging around.

So beware - even though the install says it is uninstalling 2009 - in my experience that did not get rid of everything under the program files / act sub and those leftovers caused problems. It could very well be that the leftovers weren't from 2009 version but from a previous version. I had 2007 version I think installed previously to the 2009 version - so it could have been leftovers from that version, I suppose.

So - once I did the phyiscal delete and then reinstalled 2010 - I was able to open and successfully migrate my database to the 2010 version. So far things seem to be working ok.