Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2010 sync issue

Act 2010 sync issue

Here is my problem.  I have a client I have worked with before and setup a previous version of Act for syncing between 2 computers.  Recently they called me out because they upgraded to Act 2010 and want it setup for syncing again.  1 system has the premium version on it but I'm not sure if that matters.  The one with premium I did have to update to get it to the same version as the other at 12.1.181.0 HF1. 

They installed this 2010 version about 4 months ago when they both had the same data.  Since then they have both added and deleted and now 1 database has around 150 more entries than the other.  The one with the most entries is the premium version.  I tried to go through and figure out and to get the 2 systems to sync up but I've never used this version and have been unable to do so yet. 

What is the first step I need to take to get both machines with the same data?  I'm assuming I can then set them up to sync but I will need info on setting that up as well.

Both systems are running Windows 7 if you need that information.

I'm willing to provide more information and look forward to any help anyone can provide.

thanks

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Act 2010 sync issue

Hello Evileyejoe,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

Unfortunately, having the builds of the program consistent isn't enough - the programs have to be the same version (Premium or Standard).

In the meantime, you can update the information/changes by using the import process, but there are several steps you will have to take due to the different versions.

- in the Premium program, use File > Save Copy As > to create a copy of the database in Standard format

- move the Standard copy to the other computer and open it

- in Standard db: perform Lookup > Contact Activity > select a date to correspond with last time they were in sync (to reduce amount of data to export)

- export the Standard db to the original database (using Current Lookup option)

- when export is complete > create a backup of the main database (File > Backup > Database) and restore it on the computer with Premium installed (File > Restore > Database > Restore As).  Premium can open a Standard format db, Standard cannot open a Premium format db.

- on Premium install > use this newly restored database

Here are some articles to help:

Downgrade database from Premium to Standard: KB Article 22168

Import/Export from one database to another: KB Article 17539

Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks.  So after I do this I need to have them upgrade the 1 standard version to premium and then I can setup a automatic syncing solution?

Platinum Super Contributor

Once there is a single database that contains all of the information and they are both on the same version...

From the complete database you will need to create a 'Remote' database that will be restored onto the other computer.  This remote database will then be able to sync with the main database - assuming there is a network connection that allows the computers to communicate.

Here is an article with steps for creating a remote database: KB Article 14116

If you wait until they are both updated to Premium you won't have to use the 'Save Copy As - Standard version' steps, you will be able to restore one database onto the other computer and go straight to the export step.

Greg Martin
Sage