Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2010 keyword search dialog box question

Master Commentator

Act 2010 keyword search dialog box question

Hello,

On this dialog box is an option called "Fields". What field does this option search?

Because the online help in Act 201 is not working for me, I can't look this up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: Act 2010 keyword search dialog box question

All fields associated to the selected Record Type.
Master Commentator

Thank you David.

Are items like this documented any place?

[ Edited ]

Our keyword search is not working properly. More specifically, it seems that Keyword Search is not recognizing “fields” but it will recognize “notes”, “activities”, “histories”. For example I’ll look up "Smith" (a known record) with just the “field” box checked and the search gives me nothing, but if everything is checked to conduct the lookup, it will give me a lookup from “notes”.

Thoughts?

Message Edited by warcher on 01-06-2010 03:52 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

With all due respect, if you know the field, for example Smith would likely be the last name field or contact field, why would you use keyword search rather than a specific field lookup?

Another question, what record type settings did you use?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Using the specific field lookup restricts us to searching for matching records within that specific field only. The Keyword Search will pull up matching records in all fields such as “company name”, “e-mail”, “department”, “team name”. It helps us make sure we are not adding any duplicate records – it’s kinda a “one stop shop”.

At least that was our theory...

Where do I look to determine the "record type setting?"

Thanks.

For what it's worth, here's my opinion based on over 16 years experience with the ACT! program, 10 of those years in tech support. The keyword search has improved over the years and does have some utility now. However, it's slow and tends to return nothing to way to much. In the past I considered it to be a crutch for people to lazy to learn how to do either a field or advanced query. It has evolved into a tool that can be used when nothing else works. As to the rational you gave for using keyword search, with all due respect, if your database is that poorly organized, you have a data structure problems. The idea of a database is to have the data entered in a structured manner.

You asked "Where do I look to determine the "record type setting?" and the answer is it's part of the parameters for the keyword search. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks.

Our database and database structure are rather complicated as we are dealing with fundraising events of over 50,000 people and the companies they work for.  ACT of course does not hold all of these records, but segments of our overall population.  However, I will pass your thoughts on for an internal review.

Regardless, do you have a suggestion on the fact that it is not turnng up anything?  That is the over-arching issue I have brought up.

Thanks

I ran a test on a database and the fields setting worked. Check the settings in the Search these records.

By the way, the keyword search was slow and while I expected a single record return, I got over 20, many of them where my search string was part of another word. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129