Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2010 got a new laptop and need to know how to sync it and a guy wants $150 to do this

Act 2010 got a new laptop and need to know how to sync it and a guy wants $150 to do this

Does anyone know the basic steps in laymans terms that I need to follow or youtube link?

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2010 got a new laptop and need to know how to sync it and a guy wants $150 to do this

[ Edited ]

Hi Macker,

It depends what you mean by Sync, I am assuming Act! is already installed.

if you just want to access the main database:

1. Click the "open/share database" button at the top of Act!
  2. navigate to your Act! database file on the server, and select the .PAD file
  3. login using an existing user

if you truely want to sync, and be able to access the database away from the office, this process is a little more involved.  The main boints boil down to:

1. Create a sync set for the new user
  2. Create a Remote Database (RDB) using the new sync set
  3. copy the RDB file to the new laptop
  4. doubleclick the file to unpack and deploy the RDB on the new laptop
  5. test sync.

This process may take an hour or longer, depending on how large the database is, as well as the attachments folder.

you would also need to know what the address to use for the main server, so that the Remote can sync successfully both inside and outside the network in your office.

if it is the latter, and you are not familiar with the process, then the quote you have been offered might be a reasonable expense.

if it is the former, let me know, I would be happy to be a little more verbose on the steps.

Cheers,

Jared Dalrymple | Technical Consultant | P:+61 7 3423 3551
jared@evolutionmarketing.com.au | Evolution Marketing Services

Re: Act 2010 got a new laptop and need to know how to sync it and a guy wants $150 to do this

Thanks for your help.  It truly is a software that causes my lots of stress.  I have a main computer which syncs to an older laptop.  I now have a new laptop that I also want to be able to press the sync button and it brings it up to date. 

The first process you mentioned seems much easier, what would be the drawbacks of using that method compared to what I am currently doing.

Also anytime I open Act on my new laptop it keeps telling me to register but won't allow me to online and wants me to call a phone# that no longer works.  How do I get this thing even registered.  I guess I have a couple major issues going on!

Also if I already have a sync set and RDB for my other laptop can't I just use the same for this next laptop?

Copper Elite Contributor

The main draw back with using the first method is that if you leave the office, or connect to a different network, you will not be able to open act!.  This means if you like to take the laptop home and work on records, then the first method is not suitable for you.

If you intend to use Act! on both laptops, you do not need to create a new sync set, but you WILL need to create a new RDB as an RDB can only be used with one computer, as it uses the computers hostname as an identifier when it syncs.

Finally, you can Call Swiftpage on 877-228-8377 (pulled straight from their website) the number in act won't work any more as it would be a Sage Act! number.

Cheers,

[ Edited ]

Thanks!!  You are most helpful!!  The one thing I am hessitant about doing is creating a RDB and then knocking out the one that I have set up that is functioning perfectly.  Would you mind giving me the step by step for what I should do?  The way I understand this is :

1. Open Sync panel (tools, sync panel) on main desktop

2. Leave RDB created for first laptop as is

3. Create Remote Database on desktop that has a different name than the one created for laptop #1

4. Save this RDB to desktop and then transfer to zip drive to then plug into USB of new laptop

5. Unpack the RDB by using "restore database" on new laptop  ????  not sure on this

6. Sync new laptop with desk top?

As above I am really not clear on this!  Thanks for all help!!   Also Sync Set?  Not sure where all this fits in but I am the only user so not sure if I need this and if so do I create it on main desktop also?  Will creating a new sync set mix up or disable the one that I have functioning perfectly on my old laptop?

Copper Elite Contributor

Your steps are actually spot on, and as long as you don't touch any settings for the other RDB, then there is no risk of breaking the sync.

Here is an expanded version of the steps:

1. Open Sync panel (tools, sync panel) on main desktop

2. Leave RDB created for first laptop as is

3. Click create remote database in the upper left hand corner of the sync panel window

4. Select the number of RDB's to create (in this case 1) give it a name, select a sync set (ok to use existing one) and then just keep clicking next until you can only click finish.

5. Save this RDB to desktop and then transfer to zip drive to then plug into USB of new laptop

6. Unpack the RDB on the new laptop - Provided Act! is already installed, you can unpack an RDB simply by Double-clicking on it

7. Pick the directory where you wish to unpack the RDB to

8. The Sync will run automatically once the RDB has finished unpacking.

If you get an error messagewhen trying to sync the new laptop, go to  http://kb.swiftpage.com/ and type the error message into the search box.

If you don't have any success and still can't get it to work, come let us know in the Forums!

Hope this is helpful,

Awesome!!  I am clear on all steps except for 7.  I am not sure about directory or what I would do for that step?  Thanks!!!

Copper Elite Contributor

Well the directory will normally default to your "My Documents/Act/Act Data/Databases/" folder, however if you have a specific place you want the database files to go, you can specify an alternative. (We tend to use a simpler path, such as C:/ACT/Databases, this makes the Database files easier to locate when troubleshooting, as we use the same setup with all our clients)

So you can just leave it as the default directory if you do not already have a folder setup to unpack the database files into.

Cheers,

Hi, I got a chance to do this and did all steps 1 to 7 but got an error that says the database already exists please rename it?  I have no idea what I did wrong. 

I went to main computer and made a RDB with new unique name and used same sync set as before and then saved RDB to zip drive.  Double clicked on zip drive RDB to unpack after carefully making sure to save it in c:\documents and settings windows 12 folder (AND NOT Window 9 as default was originally set to). 

I am not sure what to do at this point to take another run at this? Advice again greatly appreciated!!