Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 2010 cannot install in Windows 7

Act! 2010 cannot install in Windows 7

I have Windows 7 Ultimate and it is the real software released from MS (not a release candidate). I tried installing both Act 2009 and Act 2010, and each time I get an error during the installation.

The SQL Server service failed to start. For more information, see the SQL Server Books Online topics, "How to: Vew SQL Server 2005 Setup Log Files" and "Starting SQL Server Manually."

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act! 2010 cannot install in Windows 7

[ Edited ]

While ACT! 2009/2010 are not yet officially supported on Windows 7, this seems to be an MS SQL issue rather than an ACT! issue. I would go ahead and uninstall SQL from your system, reboot and then do a manual install of the ACT7 instance of SQL per KB Article 19386. After installing the ACT7 instance, then proceed with the ACT! install. Prior to installing the ACT7 instance, follow the steps in KB Article 19729 to add the Domain registry key. Also, make sure you are signed into Windows as a local administrator.

To uninstall SQL, go to Control Panel/Programs & Features and remove the following (if present):

- MSXML 6.0 Parser

- Any items starting with "Microsoft SQL Server"

If you have no other programs using SQL Server, then also go to the C:\Program Files directory and delete the Microsoft SQL Server program file.

Again, Sage does not currently support ACT! on Windows 7, but the above suggestion has worked on Vista and XP operating systems, so you are welcome to give it a try.

Message Edited by ghollister on 10-19-2009 02:29 PM

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Moved reply to its own thread on this board

Tuned Listener

For me to help you investigate the reason why SQL Server 2005 failed, take a look at the summary.txt log file located at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log. It should point to the detail log file for the component that failed to install. Open up this log and search for "value 3". About 20 lines above, you should see the error.  If you don't see the error here, you need to look at the Errorlog located at %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.X\MSSQL\Log.  Where X is 1,2, 3, or so on....You can determine the correct X value by looking in the registry.

Look up the data value under:

<on a 32-bit machine>

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Instance Names\SQL\Act7

Or

<on a 64-bit machine>

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Instance Names\SQL\Act7

One of these log files should provide the error. If you can't figure out how to resolve, post the error. 

Thanks,

Peter Saddow