Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2010 --can I use Thunderbird as email client instead of OL?

Copper Contributor

Act 2010 --can I use Thunderbird as email client instead of OL?

I am operating on a windows 7 OS platform on another PC --- Can I use thunderbird as email client instead of OL? Don;t want to invest and pay $300 for OL 2010 when Thunderbird is available and frankly I like it better than OL. Been an OL user for many years and tired of it's limited capabilites.

If I can use thunderbird --how do I set ACT up to interface with it?

Thanks 

Gregg

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2010 --can I use Thunderbird as email client instead of OL?

There is currently no integration with Thunderbird. However, you don't need to pay for Outlook as you can also use ACT!'s Internet Mail option.

Mike,  First i'd like to say thanks for taking time to answer questions.  I spent an hour online with the tech help people only to find out I can't use GMAIL.  So, when you say use 'ACT!'s Internet Mail option' what are you saying.  What service works?

I have ACT! 2010.  I just purchased OL2010.  I found out they do not work together.  Regarding email:  What can I do/use to send emails to my ACT! contacts?  The only option given is internet email, but that is not doable with my GMAIL account.

Thanks in advance!

Platinum Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Rcurry71,

While Act! 2010 and Outlook 2010 are not truly compatible - there is a way to integrate the 2 programs by replacing your Act! Preference file.  Have a look at this article for instructions for integration:  KB Article 26713

Note: Act! will only integrate with the 32-bit version of Office/Outlook.  Act! also cannot integrate with the 'Click to Run' installation of Office - Office must be a complete install to allow integration.

To address Rhayward's question about Internet Mail, here is an article which gives detail to using the Act! Internet Mail option: KB Article 22985

Greg Martin
Sage

I have way too many MS Word Templates I would loose if I cannot use Word as my word processor.  I wonder if they will ever release a patch for Act! 2010, or if they will simply use this as a tool to motivate users to upgrade to Act! 2011.

Thanks for your previous reply.

Hello rcurry71,
Unfortunately, there are no plans for an update to ACT! 2010 to make it compatible with Office 2010. ACT! 2011 is the only version that supports Office 2010. You can read more about this in the following post in Larry Ritter's developement blog:

http://community.act.com/t5/Larry-Ritter-s-Development-Blog/ACT-2010-and-Office-2010-Compatibility/b...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Be very careful about using Act! 2010 email client. I have lost thousands of emails using it and have reluctantly considered buying Outlook 2010. But Outlook 2010 does not work well with Act 2010, so I'll have to buy Act 2011. Now, I use Windows 7 64-bit which ACT! does not tolerate well either (Outlook 2010 only in 32 bit mode).  What was a problem has become a $250 "upgrade" which does not look like a good solution. Too many caveats. This seems way too kludgey.

Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just to put my two cents in here,

Sage ACT! 2011 does work well on Windows 7 x64. Loads of people are running this without fault.

However, and this is where I see many people come unstuck, Microsoft Office x64 doesn't work with much at all, and in fact Microsoft themselves don't recommend using x64 Office *unless* you need really really large files, i.e. a greater than 2GB .xlsx. That's a AWESOME sized spreadsheet. I don't know anyone who has a spreadsheet that even approachs that kind of size.

The following snippet from Microsoft is applicable:

The recommendations for which edition of Office 2010 to install are as follows:

• If users in your organization depend on existing extensions to Office, such as ActiveX controls, third-party add-ins, in-house solutions built on previous versions of Office, or 32-bit versions of programs that interface directly with Office, we recommend that you install 32-bit Office 2010 (the default installation) on computers that are running both 32-bit and 64-bit supported Windows operating systems.

• If some users in your organization are Excel expert users who work with Excel spreadsheets that are larger than 2 gigabytes (GB), they can install the 64-bit edition of Office 2010. In addition, if you have in-house solution developers, we recommend that those developers have access to the 64-bit edition of Office 2010 so that they can test and update your in-house solutions on the 64-bit edition of Office 2010.

Source: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681792.aspx

For more info see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee691831.aspx

This Sage KB will help with understanding x64 compatiabiltiy: http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2302...