Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2010 and Windows 7 -reports not working

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Act 2010 and Windows 7 -reports not working

I upgraded my system from Windows Vista to Windows 7, and have Act 2010.  Act is running fine in Windows 7, except if I try to print a report, for example telephone listing.  I get a message "This report could not be opened by Act."  I was wondering if reinstalling the program would correct this, as it was working under Vista, but perhaps in the upgrade of the operating system this part of the program had something happen to it.  Or is there some other setting to have this open the report? 

thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author BT_Can
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Act 2010 and Windows 7 -reports not working

Hi Greig:

yes I removed and reinstalled the program and now the reports function is working fine.  So it must have dropped something in the windows 7 upgrade in transferring program files and settings.

thanks

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

ACT! 2010 has been certified as being supported on Windows 7. This is not an issue we have had previously reported with regards to Windows 7, but any new information is greatly appreciated.

Does this issue happen with all reports, or just some of them?

Does it happen only when printing, or when you try to run it or preview it?

At what point does the error message appear?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

This issue happens with all reports.  It happens just as you click on the Reports menu, then select the report (doesn't matter which one) then a box opens up that says "The report could not be opened by Act." So it comes up before its run or previewed.  It was working under vista, so thats why I wonder when I did a Windows 7 upgrade, perhaps the upgrade program did not transfer all the files and settings correctly. Everything else in Act still works fine under Windows 7 so thats not a problem.  What I did yesterday as I was going to run the phone list report, for the client list I had filtered, I did an export to Excel for that data which worked, and I printed it from excel. 

If you open the demo database (ACT2010Demo), can you run any reports from this database?

Also, if you browse (through Windows Explorer) to the location of your database, and look in the Reports folder inside the [database name]-database files folder, are the report files there?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Opening the demo database, the same thing happens.  Inside the Act for windows 12 folder, there are folders for backup, databases and documents.  The documents file is empty.  If I click on the reports folder in the database file for my database, the report files are there along with files for different avery labels etc.

This sounds like the Define Filters dialog is corrupted which would effect all reports. Another possibility is the video driver. Check to see if there is an updated video driver or set the video hardware acceleration to none and see if that fixes the problem.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

one other thing I tried, was to click on the reports button in the lower left side of the screen.  I clicked on reports/edit template from the menu bar, and then a list of the reports came up.  I clicked on several and each time got the message "The report contained unrecognized elements and could not be loaded."  Not sure if that information is useful but thought I'd pass it along.

Are you able to create a new report? Try one from a blank report and one from one of the templates.

Greig Hollister

Copper Contributor

no, that didn't work.  When I try to create a new report, the report designer opens and has a big "X" across the white area, and a different error message comes up "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."  Then when you click ok on the error message, and then try to close the report designer it says "Do you want to save changes to Activities?"

I am checking for a new video driver as per the earlier suggestion, the driver is dated May 2009 so I am guessing that its probably the newest but we will see if there is another.

In my experience, the "big red X" is usually indicative of an issue or conflict with the video driver or video settings. Have you tried Roy Laudenslager's suggestions in his earlier reply to your post?

Greig Hollister