Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2010 and Web Links

Copper Super Contributor

Act 2010 and Web Links

Quick question - is there any way to get Web Links to synch? Or are they user specific? If they are user specific - what is the quickest way of rolling out a common set of web links to all users? Thanks Andy
Andy Kent
Angel Solutions (UK and NZ)
www.angelsolutions.co.uk
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2010 and Web Links

Andy,
The Web links are not part of database - they are in the same folder as your preferences, so are specific to your Windows profile. This is the default file path (Vista/Windows 7): C:\Users\(Windows username)\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT Data\Netlinks

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Super Contributor

Hi Greg Thanks for the speedy reply - so presume to roll out to other users, we just need to copy that XML file to each individual user profile? I've noticed too the default contact website tab doesn't work - a number of forum posts say apply hotfix 5, but we are on that already - is there any known issues here to get the contacts website link working? Thanks again Greg Andy
Andy Kent
www.angelsolutions.co.uk
Copper Super Contributor

That location doesn't seem to include the latest version of the XML file? The file in there is the default 2008 file and doesn't show any of the changes? Is there any other locations where the content of the web links is stored? Thanks Andy
Andy Kent
www.angelsolutions.co.uk

On each machine, you can go to Tools > Preferences > General tab. Under the Personal Files Locations section, select "Internet Links" for the File Type to view the location of the current file.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Super Contributor

Hi Greg Can I check we are talking about the same thing here? In the contacts view - in Act 2010 is the new Web Info tab which contains a list of default web links like Facebook, Plaxo, Yahoo weather etc If we make changes in here - then go to the exact location specified in the preferences as you mentioned in your previous post - that XMLfile is date/time stamped 2008 and if we open it there is nothing in there related to what we have changed in the edit links? I know under the VIEW menu there is the Act Links but this isn't what I am talking about? Either way we still can't seem to find where Act is storing the changes we make in the contact tab (web info) when we edit links? Please help! Thanks Andy
Andy Kent
www.angelsolutions.co.uk
Copper Super Contributor

I have found the XML file - it's actually stored in C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT for Windows 12\Preferences in a file called UKpreferences206.xml I presume this file contains more preferences than just the web info links - I presume if we carefully copy/paste these and append to other users preferences file, then this will give everyone the same web links? Thanks Andy
Andy Kent
www.angelsolutions.co.uk

Looks like we were talking about two different things. The custom links for the Web Info tab are stored within the Windows users ACT! preferences file (for the UK, this UKpreferences206.xml) with a location of C:\Users\(Windows username)\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT Data\Preferences. Please note that this file contains all ACT! user preferences on the machine for their user profile.

A suggestion would be that if you have some critical websites that need to sync with the contact, then add some URL-type custom contact fields and put the website URL in there. The links, however, would need to be specific for each contact since you cannot use field markers like you can in the web info links.

Greig Hollister

Copper Super Contributor

Thanks Greg It seems odd that this doesn't have an easier way of synching as the killer websites we want to add to this list that are driven by the contact you are looking at are obviously going to be the same for all our Act users (15 of them) Are there any plans to store these separately from the other preferences so they are synchable? It's not so much synching them with the contact - it's making it so ALL act users can see the same set of useful web links Hope this makes sense - thanks for bearing with! Andy
Andy Kent
www.angelsolutions.co.uk