Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2010 and OneNote

Copper Contributor

Act 2010 and OneNote

is there any integration between Act 2010 and OneNote?
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Act 2010 and OneNote

Well, unfortunately, no - no onenote integration...

That said, what to you means onenote integration?

Copper Contributor

That Act would have a tie in or integration with Microsoft's Office OneNote application.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote/default.aspx

Bronze Super Contributor

Yup - got that part...

So what, to you, does "a tie in or integration with Microsoft's Office OneNote " mean? 

Attach a OneNote Folder, paste Act! notes into OneNote, search a OneNote database from a field in Act!...?

Copper Contributor

I'm not entirely sure. I just installed OneNote and am beginning to explore it. I also just installed the trial version of Act 2010 and am planning on exploring that as well. Perhaps I'll find no integration is needed. I know from Word, Excel, IE and other apps that there appears to be some pretty good integration for attaching office docs, web pages, etc.

OneNote looks like a somewhat organized deskblotter at first pass.

Bronze Contributor

I read through this pretty fast and moved on.  Then it occurred to me how it could be used; albiet, it may be a duplicate effort. 

As you get to know  OneNote you will find that it is easy to have notebooks and pages with sub-pages.  I'm thinking it would be nice to have notes written ACT automatically bring up OneNote's page that is assigned to the contact within a company.  ACT would ask if you want to create the company and contact if there is not a tab present.  That would be pretty neat, I'm thinking.  Likewise, if something was put in OneNote's tab for the contact, there would be an indicator in an ACT tab or somewhere to show there is related information.

Another thought.  One of the things I really miss from Goldmine is their Library area in which one can enter all sorts of information that is easily searched on but is not related to any specific contact.  It's that area of information that you keep on product, people, programs, how-to's, etc.  I could see that being done with an ACT/OneNote integration.

What do you programmers think.  Am I off base here?

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Copper Contributor

why dont you ad a field on your act layout,, for one note,,, and make it  to launch automaTICALLY WHEN YOU CHANGE THE FIELD OR MODIFY IT,,, THEN JUST SAVE THE NOTE ON ONENOTE UNDER THAT CONTACT NAME

Bronze Contributor

Thanks for response, aritos

I'm not sure I followed what you are suggesting.  Maybe you are using a part of ACT that I haven't taken advantage of.  When adding something to OneNote, I wasthinking more of using it as a knowledge base or information library as was done in Goldmine.  So, I really didn't see it being connected to a contact.

Can you tell me more about how to launch a program from a field in ACT?

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Platinum Elite Contributor

You can add executable files (.exe) as custom commands, then add those custom commands to your toolbar. This can be done for documents and files as well. You can also launch executables using field triggers. This really isn't contact-specific though, it's global.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hello,

If you use OneNote, you will understand that each "page" could easily be seen as the "notes" from one meeting or one phone call.

That's what should be linked to Act activities.

The problem is that those "pages" are grouped together in one file called a "folder".

so each folder is actually ONE file, including MANY pages, therefore impossible to link to individual activities.

I use one folder per customer, but one page per meeting or call.

yes, I know I could probably link a customer with a folder, but that's way too big - I have customers with 60+ pages dating from meetings in 2006.

By the way, the best way to use OneNote is with a Tablet PC and a REAL pen, not a finger...