Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2010 & 2011 too much for my computer

Act 2010 & 2011 too much for my computer

My computer has been slow since I've installed Act 2010.  I've just upgraded to Act 2011, and the sluggishness continues.  I have a Dell laptop with lots of hard drive, and upgraded my RAM to 7 Gig.  My computer repair folks say that no laptop can handle the SQL server of Act, that I need to upgrade to a workstation.  These are very expensive.

Has anyone found a way to get their regular computer/laptop to handle the rigors of an SQL server?  How do you handle the increased needs for Act 2010 and higher?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2010 & 2011 too much for my computer

Your computer repair people are wrong. Check the hard drive RPM. I suspect that it's 5400 not the recommended 7200 RPM. That and swap file setup can have significant effect on performance.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

How would I determine the spin rate for my hard drive?  How would I change that?

Platinum Elite Contributor

There's a roundabout method to find the spin rate by getting the manufacturer model number and search for specification for that model. Tthe easiest might be to contact Dell.  For most laptops 5400 is the standard hard drive speed unless you order the faster drive special. There isn't any way to increase the RPM other than replacing the hard drive.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129