Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2010, Word 2007 not an option for word processor?

Act 2010, Word 2007 not an option for word processor?

I am setting up a new PC with Act 2010.  When I started I didn't realize that Act 2010 wouldn't work with Office 2010 (Never even dawned on me that Sage would do something that DUMB) .  I installed Act and was surprised that Microsoft Word wasn't an option and it was only showing the Act!Word Processor as available.  Did a little research and found out I needed to install an older version of Word - OK...  So I have now installed Word 2007 (and had to mess around a bit with some settings to get them to play nicely together on a single machine, but nothing that should really effect any other apps - i.e. where the word template folder is located and the startup folder - just word settings, and a registry setting telling word to NOT reconfigure every time it is run after the other version has been run.)

After all that, ACT still wasn't seeing Word 2007 and my only option was still the Act!Word Processor.  I then UNINSTALLED and REINSTALLED Act 2010.  Clearly the uninstall is NOT complete and leaves stuff behind since I was not asked to re-register the software or anything after the reinstall.  Unfortunately, this didn't help at all - I STILL cannot see Word 2007.  Is there ANY workaround for this?  What is the problem?  I cannot completely remove Office 2010 from my computer since that is the version the rest of my office is using - I don't think they are going to be willing to go backwards to Office 2007 just so I can use Act!

I have been using Act for nearly 10 years and all of my templates are in microsoft word format.  I am comfortable using word and it doesn't seem reasonable that I should have to use the Act!Word Processor if I HAVE Word 2007 on my computer. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2010, Word 2007 not an option for word processor?

The Windows registry has office 2010 as the registered version. ACT! makes the connection to Word through the Windows registry so it still can't see the availability of Word 2007. Your best bet, upgrade to ACT! 2011.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Well, I appreciate the quick response, but I'm starting to really re-think wether ACT! is worth all this trouble! Seriously - I bought Act 2010 a few months ago when I decided to upgrade my computer.  At that time I did a little research and found that it was VERY unlikely that my old version of Act! (6.0) which I have been happy with for years was going to work with Windows7 - that didn't seem too unreasonable - I know it is a very old version.  I picked up Act!2010 around that time, but didn't actually purchase the PC until late December and am only getting ACT! installed now (Moving to a new PC is a huge job and I currently have 2 PC's running side by side as I slowly move stuff over)

Now I'm being told that the "New" version of ACT! that I bought several months ago and never used is too old and I need to upgrade just to use the **bleep** program?  I already thought it was rediculous that Act!2010 didn't work with Word 2010, but it didn't seem to be a deal breaker since I still own older versions of Word.  I SHOULD be able to use Act!2010 with Word 2007 EVEN IF I HAVE Word 2010 on my computer!

I take it Sage isn't really interested in Small Businesses using their software?  I'm certainly not going to BUY YET ANOTHER UPGRADE just to make their software work.  I cannot be the only person out there trying to run this on a new PC and anything purchased in the last couple years is going to have Office 2010.

The Windows registry only allows one version of a program to be the registered version and in your case it's Word 2010. To make Word 2007 the registered version would make that the default version of Word for other programs the equivalent of uninstalling Word. Those are Microsofts dictates, ACT! can't do anything about them.

ACT! 2010 was released over 6-months before Office 2010. Further, Mocrosont made significnat changes to the interface used my external programs such as ACT! and didn't provide legacy support. That removed adding support for Word 2010 in ACT! 2010 from the patch category.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I am having the same problem with Act.  This is very frustrating.  I ran Office 2000 and Office 2010 on the ACT 2010 and I can't use the word processor.  I simply want to use some form of WORD to write letters.  Otherwise for me ACT is nothing more that an expensive OUTLOOK.  I purchased ACT 2010 as an upgrade from ACT 2000.  I wish I would not have made the change and I am sure not EVER purchasing an ACT upgrade again.

Can someone please tell me how to use Microsoft Office as my word processor in ACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you

I just bought a new computer. 

My old PC had Office 2003 and Office 2010 with ACT 2009 and I was able to use Word as my Word Processor just fine.

Now I have Office 2010 and Act 2009 and it wont recognize Word as the Word processor

It sounds like I am not the only one with this problem - are there any resolutions to this?

Hello Nicole,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. ACT! 2009 does not support Office 2010, so unfortunately you will not see options for Outlook, Word or Excel. You would need to upgrade to ACT! 2011 for full Office 2010 integration.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Ros

hi Greig

I am also having a similar problem, with the Processor option not showing Microsoft Word. I have all of my report templates stored as Word documents and transported over to this new compouter, so this is a real concern for me. I am using Office 2010, so Word 2010. I am using ACT! 2010 - ie ACT for Windows 12. So, I don't understand why ACT! is not communicating with Word. I would be grateful for any assistance.

many thanks

Ros

An update to my previous post. I see on re-reading previous posts that I probably need to upgarde to ACT! 2011. I downloaded the free one month trial version to check that it would work. However this wouldn't install as it said that it detected an old SQL Server instance which would need to be uninstalled. As I said, ACT! 2010 is running happily on this computer. I'm just wondering what I need to do to get ACT! 2011 to install. Thank you
Ros

A final post from me on this processor issue. I gave up on upgrading from ACT!2010 to ACT!2011 (using the trial version) as I've been down the horror path of SQL server issues previously. Instead, I uninstalled Microsoft Word from Office 2010, leaving the rest of Office intact. I then reinstalled Microsoft Word 2003 (I know, ridiculous). As a result, I can now use the Microsoft Word processor in ACT! and access all my Word templates. Success, of a kind. I have wasted more hours mucking around with ACT! software over the last five years than other software packages combined - and I'm a psychologist, not a tech.