Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 2010 Windows 7 64bit and Error 1603

Act! 2010 Windows 7 64bit and Error 1603

Hello all. It appears that version 2010 of Act does not adequently support Windows 7.

I am getting an error opening the program on first install (please put a response in the event there is an error opening the program) so I tried to uninstall - failed with an error 1603.

So I tried the suggestion from Mike Lazarus ACT! Evangelist GL Computing - Australia below.....well at least some of it.

Uninstall any version of ACT! in the Windows Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
Use the Uninstaller.exe from the ACT! KB 19338
Uninstall .Net Framework (any and all versions) in the Control Panel
Uninstall MS SQL from Control Panel if it's still there
Uninstall MSXML Services from Control Panel if it's still there
Perform a Selective restart with MSCONFIG as per ACT! KB 14499
Install .Net 2.0 Framework from MS web site (only for XM, not Vista)- http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displa...
Manually install MS SQL as per ACT! KB 19386
Install ACT! 10 (and the 10.01 patch if you're CD doesn't include it)
Restore from Selective Startup Mode with MSCONFIG
Reboot

I could then try and re-install and now I am getting an error 1603. I am reading that Sage version 2011 and beyond addresses this issue. Is there nothing else that I can do to make Act 2010 work with Windows 7 (64bit) or do I need to upgrade?

Thanks  Scott

P.S. the uninstaller does not seem to be anywhere on the Sage site or beyond....maybe that would help....

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act! 2010 Windows 7 64bit and Error 1603

This may be evidence of a registry problem. I ran ACT! 2010 on Windows 7 64-bit for a year without any problems.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks Roy for the quick repsonse.If I may what other apps are you running on your workstation? Perhaps there is a conflict with one of more apps I am running.

I am going to install this on many workstations and if there is an issue with the a registry setting with another app I want to find out that in plenty of time before the installs.

Thanks again...Scott

The 1603 is a general windows installer error and could be a problem with the installer. I did a quick google search and this looks to be the most promising for resolving the problem. Wish you luck.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/understanding-error-1603-fatal-error-during-installation

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks Roy. I have been reading the blogs and it seems to be a known error when using Act! 2010 and Windows 7.

The biggest issue I have is that the uninstaller does not work well and as a result I am forced to clean the registry, delete files and folders and do some things that i really don't have time for.

If you come across the UNINSTALLER.EXE let me know where I can download it. I would like to try this.

Cheers  Scott

See your private messages.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129