Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2010 - Office 2010 - Designr1 utility issue

wvp
Loyal Listener

Act 2010 - Office 2010 - Designr1 utility issue

Hi everyone;

I'm running Win 7 Pro 32 bit.  My hospital has upgraded me to Office 2010, but I am an ACT 2010 user.  I knew there would be issues, but heard of the designr1 utility to make ACT and Office 2010 work together.

My user account on my computer is an Admin account - but the designr1 utility does not run correctly.  3 error messages come up when ACT is launching regarding a write to the registry has failed.

If I run ACT as admin, then it loads without issue - but the connection to Outlook is broken.  Clicking on an email address in ACT does not seem to reach Outlook.

I tried re-setting ACT email settings a few times - nothing seems to help.

Anyone have a similar issue?

Why does ACT not work with Outlook when it's run as Administrator?  Had this with Office 2003 too.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2010 - Office 2010 - Designr1 utility issue

[ Edited ]

Hello wvp,
Have you disabled User Account Control (UAC) in Windows 7? If not, then you can do so through the User Accounts option in your Control Panel (will require a reboot). Also, for specific issues with the add-on, I would advise contacting DesignR1 directly.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

wvp
Loyal Listener

Thanks.

Yes, I have been in touch with designr1.  The problem is that when ACT runs, the utility is writing things to the registry to trick ACT into thinking an older version of office is installed.  This must happen every time ACT runs.  I seem to need some kind of elevated user privilege on my account to enable the writes to the registry, without running ACT as admin.

I doubt my hospital's IT department will allow me to disable UAC.

Platinum Elite Contributor

It might be possible for your IT to set ACT! or the utility (whichever needs it) to run elevated, without giving you the access?

Or, if Designr1 gives you a reg key, the IT could force load it with ACT!?