Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 2010 Installation Files

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Act! 2010 Installation Files

After the computer that Act! 2010 was installed on updated to Windows 10 from Windows 7, Act! can no longer access the database. According to my research the issue is with SQL 2005 not running on anything newer than Windows 7. I'm not sure how it was working up until today, but I was unable to get the ACT7 SQL server service to run on the computer at this point at all, manually or automatically. Technical support emailed me support articles that I had already been through and gotten much deeper into the knowledge base, and could only recommend purchasing a new version of Act!. My next logical step was to update the non-working SQL server version to a working version, so I removed the SQL 2005 server and created the new ACT7  service in SQL 2014. The ACT7 service made in SQL 2014 runs perfectly, and I linked the existing Act! 2010 installation to the SQL 2014 server ACT7 service per the knowledge base. Sadly, it failed to resolve the problem and I can't open the existing database or create a new one. My next plan of attack is to uninstall Act! completely and install fresh pointing at the SQL 2014 server ACT7, but have not been able to locate the installation media for ACT! 2010. The download.act.com location has all the hotfixes and updates, but not the installer, and the download page goes to a dead download link. Is there another location that the installer can be downloaded from? Has anyone been successful at all getting Act! 2010 running on windows 10? It has past 30 days since upgrade and I can't roll the computer back to Windows 7 and reinstalling Windows 7 from scratch will run into the same problem of no Act! 2010 installer.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Narauko
‎07-26-2016 01:10 AM
Administrator

Re: Act! 2010 Installation Files

Hi Narauko,

Unfortunately Act! 2010 is not supported on Windows 10, or running on SQL 2014. You can find detailed compatibility listings in the following Knowledgebase article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29767

If running Act on Windows 10 is your intention, it would be necessary to upgrade to Act! v18. Give us a call on 866 873 2006 and speak to our sales team to learn more.

I have sen't you a PM with the Act! 2010 installers for your records.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Quit wasting your time and upgrade to ACT! 18. ACT! 2010 won't work with SQL 2014.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Solution
Accepted by topic author Narauko
‎07-26-2016 01:10 AM
Administrator

Hi Narauko,

Unfortunately Act! 2010 is not supported on Windows 10, or running on SQL 2014. You can find detailed compatibility listings in the following Knowledgebase article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29767

If running Act on Windows 10 is your intention, it would be necessary to upgrade to Act! v18. Give us a call on 866 873 2006 and speak to our sales team to learn more.

I have sen't you a PM with the Act! 2010 installers for your records.

Thank you both for the information, and thank you for the Act! 2010 installation files. I wish the SQL server compatibility for the various ACT! pro versions was listed in the knowledge base, or that technical support over the phone had that knowledge other than "just buy a new version". Sometimes workarounds work, sometimes not, and you guys saved me a few more hours of frustration trying to fix the unfixable. The user of the computer in question hated Windows 10 anyway, so I have reinstalled Windows 7 and am reinstalling Act! 2010.

Administrator

Narauko wrote:

I wish the SQL server compatibility for the various ACT! pro versions was listed in the knowledge base

Hi Narauko,

This information is in the Knowledgebase article I linked above, under the Database heading.

That it is, a wonderful chart with the exact information I needed. I could not find it for the life of me while researching the issue when it happened under a time crunch, and phone support didn't have that link for some reason so i couldn't get a straight answer other than the version was not rated for Windows 10. Thank you for pointing out exactly what I was looking for, and hopefully it helps anyone else looking for this information. Act! 2010 is reinstalled on a fresh Windows 7 installation and the database has been rebuilt. My issue has been resolved thanks to you two. Should have come to the community forums first.

I am running into a problem that may be related, but not sure. I added a new email user to Outlook and ACT! 2010 - which was running fine...when I tried to access an email which usually links to outlook, ACT! responded that email was not set up. The wizard then was unable to even see Outlook. The community support articles said to re-install ACT! as a solution. I did a standard de-install and now ACT! will not get past the Running System Check dialogue box on the install.

Is this a problem with SQL, the de-install, the installer, the registry.....I am losing my mind because I had a functioning system until someone said the solution was to re-install. Could use some help. Here is the config:

PC with standard Win 7 64 bit OS,  4GB RAM, Intel Duo Core 3GHz 200GB drive   - Software is ACT! 2010

I would upgrade to higher versions of ACT! but we are locked into our corporate standard reports and customization that will not port easily.

Employee

[ Edited ]

Hi mloos,

Take a look at http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23954 to help you resolve the 'Running System Check' loop.

Once you have successfully re-installed Act!, proceed with the email preferences setup.  If you encounter the same error as before, where Outlook is not listed as an option in the email setup wizard, please refer to the following kb article http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14425

Thanks,

Hi Karl,

First fix worked like a charm, thanks. However now I have a SQL 2005 error...which is kind of strange because as I said before ACT! was running fine on this PC. Attached is the error message and log file dump....  I assume there is a procedure to rebuild SQL, would you have the fix for this step?

Thanks

Mark

This error occurred during installation .

Mark