Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2010 Importing Information into Notes Tab

Act 2010 Importing Information into Notes Tab

If I have an existing record, first name, last name, company, etc., can I import information into the notes tab for any existing record provided that the import file file has the person's first and last name (at a minimum).  When imported, Act will date and time stamp the imported entry along with any information in the "Regarding" field. 
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2010 Importing Information into Notes Tab

I am in the United States.  Is there a partner in the US that I can call to get more information?

Very kind of you and will pass the note along.  Best -Marc
Platinum Super Contributor

For basic import functionality, you can use the built-in Import function (File > Import) to bring in your Notes.  You can accomplish this by using the First and Last Names in your Duplicate Checking filters and in the field mapping portion of the import - map your data to the Act! field 'Add to Act! Notes'.  It will create a Note with the date/time of the import and the regarding will be the data imported.

The following article was created specifically for use when importing notes from Outlook and needing to 'clean' the files, but it is a good reference for screen shots of the process: Import Outlook Notes into Act! database

Greg Martin
Sage

Martin,

I discussed this process with the folks at Act and they said that to import notes in the Notes Tab could be done on older versions b ut not with 2010.  I was told that I would have to buy an import application called itImport.  Now I'm uncertain what is possible, can you clarify.

Thanks,

Marc

Marc,

The import of Notes into an ACT! 2010 database is an existing functionality (I just successfully tested it). While you can't export Notes, you can import them in. The notes entries however be dated for the date/time of the import. If you want to import notes into ACT! for existing contacts:

-Remove all columns from your .csv file except the First Name, Last Name, and Notes columns. Make sure the column are named exactly First Name, Last Name, Notes. Save and close in .csv format.

- In ACT!, set your Duplicate Checking to check only the First Name and Last Name fields (no third field). You can include a third field if you want, but you will need to add the column for that field to your .csv file.

- Go to File/Import

- Choose the Text Delimited format, browse to and select your file. Next.

- Choose "Contact records". Next

- Leave Import Options as is. Next

- Do not use predefined map file. Next

- First Name and Last Name should automatically map. Map your Notes column to "Add to ACT! Note." Next

- Click Contact for merge options. Choose "Merge" on the left side and "Add" on the right side. Next

- Click Finish to begin import

Please note that you can import in one Notes column at a time. If you have multiple columns in your .csv file, you either need to combine those columns into one or do multiple imports, one column at a time.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Greg, 

Thanks, I find it strange that I called twice with the same question and got the same answer, importing first name, last name and notes in the notes tab could not be done any longer.  I have a very old version of Act and the person I spoke too said that function was removed with the 2010 version. 

Marc

I am sorry about the conflicting information. As I said, you can import notes, but you cannot export them. This may have been different in versions 6.0 and below. By the way, what version of ACT! are you using?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.