Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2010 Hot fix 3 Problem

Act 2010 Hot fix 3 Problem

We are in the process of upgrading from Act 2006 to Act 2010. I installed the software on a server and several workstations. The server and first workstation installed with hot fix 2. I backed up our database and restored it on the new server. The database update from Act 2006 to Act 2010 ran ok. Now as I install new workstations they are receiving hot fix 3. The problem is when I open the database in Act 2010 hot fix 3 it tells me I need to update the database. I am unable to install hot fix 3 on the server. I receive a message that there is not enough space on the c: drive to unpack the hot fix executable. In fact there is 63 GB of free space!

My question is can I go ahead and update the database from one of my workstations? If I do this will I still be able to access the database from my server? Also is there a way to manually install the hot fix on the server? The one workstation that was on hot fix 2 installed hot fix 3 without error.

Any insight anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2010 Hot fix 3 Problem

To address the space issue that the package is complaining about, you can simply make an additional copy of the hotfix, essentially increasing space usage on the hard drive.  If you make an additional copy and continue to get the message, make an additional copy and soforth and you will eventually be able to successfully extract and install the hotfix.  Once you have applied the hotfix, you can simply delete the copies that you made.

You could also delete files from the <TMP> and or <TEMP> locations on the machine, as the issue is actually coming from the amount of space that these areas are consuming.

If you simply invoke "Start" and type %tmp%, this command will take you to the TMP location, and %TEMP% will take you to the TEMP location.  The extraction of the hotfix is trying to use space at these locations, but doesn't have enough defined by these variables to extract, regardless of the amount of actual HD space available on the machine.

If you do a Google search on the error message "there isn't enough space on c:\" you will see many application suffering from what is sometimes referred to as the "multiple of 4" issue.

thanks

Matthew McFadden

Re: Act 2010 Hot fix 3 Problem

Thank you very much for your help. I kept copying the hot fix until on the 4th iteration it installed. I updated my database on the server and all is well.

Thanks again!