Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2010 Calendar view only mini calendars for 2020

Re: Act 2010 Calendar view only mini calendars for 2020

Hi Gary--

Thanks for your response. To answer the first question, the years that come up seem random, sometimes beginning with 2020 or so, sometimes different years. But never the current year.   I will try to preferences rebuild hoping that will help.  Given that I sometimes get a black screen flashed momentarily, and given some of the kb suggestions relating to lap tops that point to dpi settings in the monitor settings, I am starting to think it may be related to a conflict with the monitor drivers. (I tried changing dpi settings on my PC but without any improvement.) I use an Intel HD graphics card and as I recall I may have downloaded the latest update a week or so ago. I might try a system recovery to an earlier date to see if that improved it.   Thanks again for your continued assistance. -Bob

Have not yet rebuilt preferences file but plan to do so soon. Meanwhile, I wanted to note again that I have been experiencing a momentary blacking out of my monitor, maybe for one or two seconds, usually when I move my cursor in Act 2010. I uninstalled and reinstalled my graphics driver but there was no change. Then I dug a little deeper and conclude that the blacked out screen only happens when I am in Act 2010 and only when I have opened the calendar tab. It does not happen with any other program and does not happen in Act2010 when in contacts, companies, or any other tab. Just in calendar.  So I am starting to think that there is some conflict between my graphics driver (Intel HD Graphics 2500 with an Acer monitor).and something in how Act 2010 displays the calendars. Will keep digging.--Bob

Administrator

Hi Bob,

I can't say I've ever heard of that issue before. Let us know how you get on with rebuilding the preferences.
Bronze Super Contributor

Have been following this and it does look like a failure to display caused by a graphic clash. I know you tried some of this but I would take the DPI down to a very low setting and make sure there was no scaling and see if that resolved the issue. .

Hi Chip--

Haven't yet rebuilt preferences file but will shortly. Meanwhile, I did uninstall and reinstall my graphics driver without any change. I tried setting the dpi to the lowest level I can on my monitor, 96 dpi, and again there was no change. I also disabled the  Act.Outlook.Services.exe program since I don't use Outlook but there also was no change.  But as I have played with this I have discovered another clue. Still getting the mini calendars when I go to the calendars tab, but when I moved my cursor I didn't get the black screen. Thought for a moment I had solved part of the problem.  But if I use the forward and back buttons in the tool bar to move forward or back a few days, about every third button push, two or three horizontal lines appear below the mini calendars with my last name appearing on the very left. (see screen shot). Once those lines and my name appear, any movement of the cursor generates a black screen on my monitor. Sometimes the black screen lasts several seconds. Once it lasted so long I had to log off using the task manager. But no linse, no black screen.  Curiouser and curiouser.  Will work on the preferences soon. --Bob

I did try the automatic preference file rebuild without any change in the problem with the mini calendars. I could not find in the knowledge base instructions for the manual preferences rebuild for Act! 2010. I tried instructions for Act! 2012 and later and they were looking for folders that don't exist in 2010 so I was stumped there. I tried searching here but came up empty.  Do you have a link to manually rebuilding preferences for Act!2010? Also, I set my monitor to 96 dpi (which makes all the print small) because I read somewhere here that Act2010 does not work with dpi settings greater than that (although it had for a while here). In any event, no change in the mini calendar problem. I reinstated the Act.Outlook.Services.exe program, also without any change. I disabled scaling at higher screen resolutions in Act just in case. No Change. I have tried every possible compatibility setting in Act Properties. No change. It still seems to work fine on the laptop.  Will keep you updated on my efforts. Thanks for all the help. --Bob

I think I have solved the problem!   After setting the dpi to 96, I finally was able to rebuild the preferences files manually  It took me a long time to search out the manual rebuild instructions for Act 2010 but I found them by surfing an Act 2010 series of issues. (The KB is down for maintenance).  Once I deleted the old preference files and restarted ACt2010, the set up screen came up (as it should after a preferences delete) and the program now seems to work fine. The calendar tab shows this month and works fine with all the other choices. Now that I know how to fix this, I will next try to return to a slightly higher dpi setting and se if it still works, as the 96 dpi setting makes everything almost too small to work with. But thanks to all who helped me with my various attempts. I will report back if there are any other issues.--Bob

An addendum:  I reset the dpi to 120 dpi, restarted and then restarted ACT 2010 and everything is working fine. I will keep an eye on it to see if it changes, but at least now I now how to fix it, even if I have to end up squinting at a screen filled with 96 dpi print.  Maybe I will have to upgrade again to a newer version! --Bob

Administrator

Good to hear Bob!