Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2010 Back Up

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Act 2010 Back Up

I am receiving the following error when I try and copy the documents folder with the ACT backup onto an external hard drive. 

Item not found:

Could not find this item:

This is no longer located in C:\Users\Admin\My Documents\Act\Act For Windows12\Databases. Verify the items location and try again. I haven't moved the files anywhere. 

This happens with the .ADF file and the .PAD file. 

There is an option to try again or skip, but trying again always brings up the same message. 

Please advise. 

Elizabeth

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Elizabeth Whited
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Act 2010 Back Up

Are you attempting to manually copy the files to the external hard drive?

If yes, the error is due to the ADF and ALF files being locked by Microsoft SQL Server. The recommended method for backing up your database is to create a backup through the program: File > Backup > Database. Then copy the backup file to the external drive.

Note: If you stop the 'SQL Server (ACT7)' service, you can directly copy the files.
Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author Elizabeth Whited
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Are you attempting to manually copy the files to the external hard drive?

If yes, the error is due to the ADF and ALF files being locked by Microsoft SQL Server. The recommended method for backing up your database is to create a backup through the program: File > Backup > Database. Then copy the backup file to the external drive.

Note: If you stop the 'SQL Server (ACT7)' service, you can directly copy the files.
Greg Martin
Sage

Sorry to impose, but where can I find the procedure to backup my db from desktop to laptop (just loaded 2010 on laptop) so when I travel, I can have a current copy from my desktop. When I return, I want to do just the opposite.

Thank you in advance.

Hello Idiom,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Steps for creating and restoring a backup of the database can be found in this article: KB Article 19211

When restoring the database on the 'other' computer, you will have to use the 'Restore As' option - restoring with a new name ('Restore As' will not overwrite the existing database).

If you have the ability to connect the laptop to the desktop network, you may want to look into synchronization.  Here is an article with steps for setting up synchronization: KB Article 14116

Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you kind Sir!