Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2009 - what's the speed like?

Copper Contributor

Act 2009 - what's the speed like?

[ Edited ]

I've been an ACT user forever and while I’ve tried all the others have come back it as the best design and most flexibly contact mgmt software...  

BUT  

Several recent versions of Act have been just TERRIBLE.  Operation is slow to point of not be workable, ie go to look someone up and you're counting the seconds until a contact appears.  Twice I tried new versions but in each case reverted to 6.0, the last version that seems to perform well - my experience seems to be echoed by others based on reviews I’ve read. 

Anyway, the question is to those using 2009, is there an improvement?  What has your experience being on 2009 vs 6.0? 

To Sage, I'd suggest  

1) acknowledge there was/is a problem - I'm very reluctant to keep on trying as your firm has never acknowledge (to my knowledge) apologized for or explained how you are addressing the speed issue – acknowledging the problem is the first step to restoring credibility in the market and  

2)  if you have solved the speed issues since moving to SQL, are there some benchmarks?   It would be great to know that these problems have been solved and that you can prove they’re in the past 

I really want to continue with ACT because it gives imo the best functionality and flexibilty, but if v11 is anything like other recent releases how can one continue on this path?  What’s the alternative – Outlook BM? opinions?

Message Edited by objectivist on 01-05-2009 06:40 AM
Message Edited by objectivist on 01-05-2009 06:40 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2009 - what's the speed like?

What is your hardware configuration? RAM and hard drive RPM are the most important. As a general rule, the performance problems you have experienced are typically traced to the hardware configuration.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Roy, thanks for the quick response.

System is OS Name    Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version    5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
System Type    X86-based PC
Processor    x86 Family 15 Model 7 Stepping 10 AuthenticAMD ~2211 Mhz (AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+)

Total Physical Memory    2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory    1.01 GB
Total Virtual Memory    2.00 GB
Page File Space    5.27 GB

C: is a couple of raptor drives set at raid 0 for fast disk i/o.  graphics card is high end. 

while a couple of years old now, its still a fast machine used regularly for 3d cad work which is demanding.  granted 2G is not what I'd buy today, but its far from a dinosaur.

With no real benefit (from this users perspective) to the newer versions that i can see, how do we go from Act 6.0  was blazingly fast on slow old Win95 machines that are now in the computer scrap heap to act 7-10 that crawls on the above configuration!  and this with about 2200 contacts.  I mean if I have to go by a machine that is even faster than Autocad requires, am I even going to be able to have other things open while act is open?  I'd be happy starying with 6.0, but its no longer supported and will become more and more difficult to keep working so i'm considering what to move to.  I wish they'd bring back and support a 6.5

Sorry if I sound a little jaded, but it seems like i've just described the ultimate resource hog software.....please tell me i've just got some setting wrong Smiley Happy

Message Edited by objectivist on 01-05-2009 12:57 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Well, your RAM and hard drive should be no problem. It has been my observation since ACT! 2005 was introduced that people using AMD processors often seem to have the most performance problems. My guess is that the Microsoft .NET framework and MSSQL are optimized to run with the Intel processor microcode and the AMD processor microcode is, of necessity, different does not do a good job of executing the .NET framework. Sorry I can't be of help other than to make my observation.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129