Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2009 std Synchronization failed "System.OutOfMemoryException"

Act 2009 std Synchronization failed "System.OutOfMemoryException"

We have now received the above error for over 3 weeks. Act technical support has been unable to fix this, or offer anything more solid, than a database error or an SQL issue.

I have got SQL 2005 sp2 installed, any help or suggestions greatly received

======== SYNC SESSION - 03/10/2008 10:17:52 ========

[ Info | 03/10/2008 10:17:52 ]Message: Sync remote client created.
[ Info | 03/10/2008 10:18:07 ]Message: Checking if schema changes are available for sync.
[ Info | 03/10/2008 10:18:09 ]Message: Client establishing synchronization with server database: SALES_MASTER
[ Info | 03/10/2008 10:18:26 ]Message: Initial Handshake completed.
[ Info | 03/10/2008 10:18:26 ]Message: Checking if data changes are available for sync.
[ Info | 03/10/2008 10:18:30 ]Message: Client initialized database send session: 16
[ Info | 03/10/2008 10:18:48 ]Message: Client initialized.
[ Info | 03/10/2008 10:18:50 ]Message: Client schema synchronized.
[ Info | 03/10/2008 10:20:59 ]Message: Server initialized.
[ Info | 03/10/2008 10:21:02 ]Message: Server schema synchronized.
[ Info | 03/10/2008 10:21:09 ]Message: Files synchronized.
[ Error | 03/10/2008 10:25:38 ]Message: Content synchronization failed.
[ Error | 03/10/2008 10:25:38 ]Message: Synchronization has failed. Server Error Description: Synchronization failed due to an out of memory error on the server. Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

Bronze Contributor

Re: Act 2009 std Synchronization failed "System.OutOfMemoryException"

Dear Blackrain,

Have you looked in the knowledgebase for some of the settings regarding a timeout and increasing the time in the synch configuration file.

The other thing you might look for in either ~temp files in the attachment folder

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

[ Edited ]

Ohh yes we have increased the timeout values to 6300 and 9600. Did I mention this has now been installed on several servers and the same problem is occurring? I was wondering when someone at act would take this seriously, if I can’t get this fixed ill have to move to another product, and I expect ACT to refund my software costs and data transfer costs to the new product. We have had several L2 and L3 support people look at this and every time they come out with additional rubbish on what the problem is. So far the list is as follows       

• Server is faulty (we purchased a new server)·        
  • Database is corrupt (we created a new database)·        
  • Database is fine server has issues (act team dialled in an changed settings)·        
  • Server is faulty (built new server 2 x Xeon 2gh processors 3Gb Ram)·        
  • Page file is corrupt (page file change to system managed by Act) ·        
  • Still not syncing (change act crusher settings)·        
  • Page file Fault (page file removed by act)·        
  • Time out error (act change timeout values) ·        
  • Page file Error (act reset page file to 1024 – 4096)·        
  • Database corrupt (act perform db repair and re-import data)·        
  •  Server Fault (we install on a server with 2 x quad core 10Gb Ram dedicated) ·        
  • Act say they are puzzled 2nd or 3rd server should be ample (rebuild again)·        
  • Sql error not Act (act say to go away and update to sp2 update carried out)·         
  • Database error (I have no idea what for this time)·        
  • Install demo db (same error occurs once records are manually added)·        
  • Act say “don’t call us we can’t fix it” the community forum??????? Is this really acceptable????? 

In total I have spent over 30 hours on the phone personally to act technical support in two weeks for the server error. And my colleagues in the field have spent around 5 – 15 hours each for client errors. That’s around 100 man hours of fixing stuff and we still don’t work. At the cost of two server replacements. 

Please if anyone has any idea on how to fix this call me on 0044 700 597 6913.

Message Edited by blackrain on 10-06-2008 04:30 AM
Message Edited by blackrain on 10-06-2008 04:31 AM
Message Edited by blackrain on 10-06-2008 04:32 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

You referred in the title of the post that you are using ACT! 2009 Standard, do you mean that you are using ACT! for Sage 2009 (which uses MSSQL Express) or ACT! Premium for Sage which uses the standard version of MSSQL. The problem you have points to the sync exceeding the limits imposed by MSSQL of 1 GB RAM usage for MSSQL Express or 2 GB RAM usage for MSSQL standard. These limits exist regardless of the total RAM installed on the system. I've seen this and similar errors when attachments are included in the sync. As a test (provided you have not done so before), try creating and RDB without attachments and setup the sync to exclude attachments and see if that works.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I check your call history and wasn't able to find any case regarding this issue.  Do you have a case ID from where you spoke with a level 2/3 about this issue?

Errors with Server Error Description are issues with the server side.  When receiving the error, check the process under task manager to see whats taking up a lot of resources.  More than likely its going to be sqlserver.exe.   You can release the memory by restarted SQL Server (ACT7) service.

As a work around, you can create a Windows task to restart the service nightly.

I realise that you are using a slightly later version of ACT but I think this might be of help 

I have been getting the same error while synchronizing ACT Premium for Web 2008.  When checking the Client machine Processes in Task Man sqlserv.exe was topping out at 500MB and ActSage.exe reached 1GB just before the Out of Memory Exception error was disaplayed.

The problem seems to have been caused by the number of Attachments stored on the server.  Over 3000 files totalling 1.5 GB.  When creating the remote databases the option "not to sync attachments" was chosen but it seems they still have an effect during remote DB sync'ing.  I have no need to keep email attachments on the server as 99% of them are Spam (sorry, targetted mailshots).

After removing all attachments from the server I can now sync my remote databases.  The Client machine now reports sqlservr.exe using about 850MB and ActSage.exe now only uses 120MB.   

Having a large number of email attachments caused majour problems with creating and sync'ing remote databases with our previous version of ACT, they still seem to cause problems with Act Premium 2008 and I'm guessing they still cause problems with Act Premium 2009.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Platinum Elite Contributor