Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2009 sql error

Act 2009 sql error

I am trying to move my database onto a large external hard drive that is accessible to my other computer.  When I try to move the files I get "The action can't be completed because file is open in SQL server".  I thought I would solve the problem by following the knowledge base instructions under "How to Add ACT! by Sage and the ACT7 SQL Server® Instance to the Windows® Firewall Exceptions List" but same error.  Help please!

thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2009 sql error

Thank you Mike.  Can I just use my database directly from the backup on that external drive then?  I need to have the database available from both computers and the external drive is on the network.

Thank you Mike! IT looks so easy on your blog....but I have been trying to get this set up, and still can't reach it from my laptop. I tried to set up the remote database and it keeps failing because access is denied.  I am the only user and it isn't password protected.

Is this even possible the way I am set up?  My Act 2009 runs on a tower, so the databases are on the hard drive.  There is a large external hard drive that is also connected to it which I work off of  with my laptop.  My Act is not the premium edition so it seems the application sync is my only option.

Yes, with non-Premium, Application sync is the only choice (need ACT! to be open on the server)... you might also look at the VPN option.

What's the exact error?

Failed to create remote database "remotecorp". Access to the path c:\.... ADF' is denied.  Assess to the path 'Ste6e359...ADF' is denied. Please contact the administrator for more help.

What is the full path you're trying to save it to?

Try creating a folder C:\ACTData

Then try restoring there

same error.  is it looking for the wrong file?  my Act is open to a file called "corporate" and is in a folder actdatabases

the path on the error is 'c:\actdatabases\corporate-database files\7a08804d7375492a84d2c099c4739e1\backup\Sdb40c017d144ce1b1b684aa7d3a74e0.ADF'

Thank you so much for your help!