Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2009 restoring on 2nd computer

Act 2009 restoring on 2nd computer

I'm using Act 09 version 11.1.183 and am attemtping to manage my database on 2 computers.  After I backup and attempt to restore on another computer I get this error message, "the backup of the database can only be restored on the machine that was used to create it. Use the Restore As option to restore the database on this machine"

I don't want to change the name because the name is specific to syncing with my iphone through comanion-link.  I tried to Restore As and put in the same name but as you know it won't allow that same name to be duplicated. What am a doing wrong?  The main laptop is a new HP running on Vista and the other Dell is Windows XP.  

Richard

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2009 restoring on 2nd computer

Nothing, it's working as designed. I susgest that you setup ACT! synchronization between the two computers.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Is that only done through a network?  Do I have to purchase another license?  Can you direct me?  Is is fair to say that this is the only way to keep one database updated on 2 laptops? 

Thank you for your quick response.

Rich

Through the network. Internet using Hamachi. You don't need a second license.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Please see KB Article 23333 for instructions on setting up a Hamachi VPN to sync via the Internet.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.