Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2009, recognize Mr. and Mrs. as prefix for salutation

Act 2009, recognize Mr. and Mrs. as prefix for salutation

I just imported my oldAct 2000 database into Act 2009. When I imported it, the preference wasset to use the first name as the salutation.  All of my salutationswere populated as first names instead of the custom salutations I had in theold database.  I changed the preferencesto “prefix, last name” as a good starting point to rebuild my customsalutations, but it did not go back and repopulate the salutation that wereshowing up as first names. How can I force it to repopulate this field with thenew preference?

Another issue:

I oftenuse, for example, “Mr. and Mrs. John Smith” in the contact filed. I want theSalutation to show “Mr. and Mrs. Smith.” But the database is recognized theword "and" as everyone's first name. When I changed the salutationpreferences to "prefix, last name," it only recognizes Mr. as theprefix, and it sees "and" as the first name.  Is there a way tomake a custom prefix so that Mr. and Mrs. shows up in the salutation when it isset to “prefix, last name”?  

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2009, recognize Mr. and Mrs. as prefix for salutation

Yes, try adding the ampersand (&) as a prefix and use than instead of the spelled out and.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks, but I already have "and" spelled out in 50,000 records. I would really prefer to have it spelled out if there's a way to force it to recognize "Mr. and Mrs." as the prefix.  If not, is there a way to replace "and" with & easily without retyping it 50,000 times?  

I believe there is a utility available that will do that.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I will try to explain my prob. It's a lot like this. I just moved into this company and I am in charge of cleaning up the Act! 2009 database. My boss has been adding contact names such as "John and Jane Smith" into a single contact. He said he did that so he can send mail to a contact and both parties would be addressed on it but only one piece going out. (mortgage related material). As I said I am cleaning up the database and have always used individual people in my contacts. I need a way to change all of this easily.

My end goal is to have Individual contacts so I can send bday communications and annual communications to either party in the household. But still be able to send 1 snail mail addressed to both parties in the "John and Jane Smith" way as stated above. Any ideas how I can do this. Don't know a lot about ACT.

THanks in advance!!!

Matthew

Hello mtuey,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. To accomplish what you need with the joint contact records, you would have to create two new fields that have the individual contacts names and use that field on your mail and email templates instead of the <Salutation> field. Either that, or you would need to temporarily change the name in the Salutation field to the name of the individual contact for the purpose of the mail or email.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.