Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2009 preventing backup of Outlook file

Copper Contributor

Act 2009 preventing backup of Outlook file

It seems that the Act installation is keeping the Outlook .pst file open, so my backup program is unable to back up the pst. I've tried going into Vista's Task Manager and stopping Outlook.exe, that was not enough. I've also stopped Act.Outlook service, that was still not enough.

I've also tried setting up the optional Outlook backup that Microsoft provides, that will back up the pst when Outlook is shut down. But that is not running either, probably for the same reason.

Any ideas what I need to do to allow backups to occur? 

Since my wife takes this laptop when she travels, I will not always be present to manually shut down services, so a method that will allow my automatic backup program to include the pst would be preferable.

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2009 preventing backup of Outlook file

Hello Vincenzo,

It may not be ACT! that is holding on to the .PST file. You might want to go into Outlook and disable any other add-ins in the event they are preventing the .pst file from being backed up. If you are using Vista, you may also want to make sure that User Account Control (UAC) is disabled. The instructions for this are in KB article 20220.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.