Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 2009 error: "This access control list is not in canonical form and therefore cannot be modified."

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Act! 2009 error: "This access control list is not in canonical form and therefore cannot be modified."

I've been running Act! 6.0 for many years. At some point long ago I'd installed Act! 7.0 but never used it, and removed it awhile back. Version 6 has been working fine, but after all this time I finally reached a point where I needed some additional features.

Therefore, I just bought Act! 2009 (11.0) and installed it tonight. I'm running XP Pro SP2 with all current updates (except SP3.) My Act! 6 is still working fine, even after installing 2009.

In Act! 2009, I followed the instructions for opening/converting a 6.0 database, and every time I attempted it, I got the error:

"This access control list is not in canonical form and therefore cannot be modified."

and then

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

I turned off Windows Firewall, had no other programs running at all, etc. I even made sure that Act! and Microsoft SQL Server were in the Windows Firewall exceptions list.

Finally I uninstalled Act! 2009, and removed the Microsoft SQL Server folder to force a fresh installation. I then reinstalled Act! 2009. This time it indeed installed SQL Server, unlike before. However, when I attempt to open my Act! 6.0 database, the same errors occur.

I can create a new database within Act! 2009, but any attempt to open/convert the old database yields the same result.

I am completely stuck. Multiple searches of various forums have not revealed any solution to this, yet I'm sure there's one out there.

Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Greg Bunch

gbundersea@cox.net

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author gbundersea
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Act! 2009 error: "This access control list is not in canonical form and therefore cannot be modified."

I was indeed logged in as administrator, and you're right - it was almost certainly a permission issue. I spent the better part of a day researching ACLs, ACEs, DACLs, the true meaning of canonical order (sounds like a religion! Smiley Happy) and a host of other hardcore technical stuff, most of which I'd never heard of until this problem arose.

After my research, I rebooted in safe mode and went into properties>security for the ACT data folder. Windows warned me that the security settings for this folder weren't ordered properly, and asked if I wanted to proceed to reorder and correct settings. I did so, hoping that this would be the magic fix. I also set all permissions to full access. It didn't work the first time, so I read more and went back to try additional tweaks. Each time I did this, it involved 2 reboots (safe mode to make the change, normal mode to test it) so you can imagine the time it took!

All to no avail...Smiley Sad

I backed up the 6.0 data, then restored it to another machine on the network and tried opening it into my new 2009 progam. Same result!

Finally, I installed ACT 7.0, which had never been used, onto that machine. I then opened the 6.0 data into 7.0, and verified that it was all there. Then I copied the 7.0 files onto my computer, as 2009 gave me a different error when attempting to open them across the network. (But NOT the ACL error!)

With the 7.0 files on my local machine, I held my breath, opened them in 2009, and watched as it began the conversion process!

Finally, after about 2 days, lots of cussing, and way too much frustration, my data is now resting comfortably inside ACT 2009.

Thanks again for the suggestions! I hope my experience helps someone else who might someday face the same, seemingly insurmountable problem.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Act! 2009 error: "This access control list is not in canonical form and therefore cannot be modified."

To help isolate the issue - in Act! V6, create a new/empty database and then attempt to convert it to Act! 2009.  If it will convert, it points to possible corruption in main database.  If this is the case, you can run maintenance against your main database in V6 to clean it up before attempting to convert.  For instructions visit this link: Repair V6 database.

Since you have Act! 2009 installed, when running the Actdiag program you will need to browse to the folder C:\program files\act - then double click on 'actdiag.exe'.  And before running any maintenance you will want to create a backup of your database.

Greg Martin
Sage

Dear Greg,

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately, I'd already done those. I dutifully followed the Act! 2009 instructions to first reindex my 6.0 data, run ActDiag on it, back it up, etc.

I also attempted to open a clean 6.0 demo database, and got the same error.

This morning, Windows Update notified me that my SQL Server 2005 had an update waiting. It is a big one - Service Pack 3. I'm hoping that perhaps it is related. It's downloading as I type this right now.

While I'm hopeful that this will help, please do keep suggestions coming.

Also, this morning I copied my 6.0 data folder to another computer on my network, and to my own computer's Shared Documents folder. When I tried opening the database from either of those locations, the results were exactly the same.

By the way, the data and programs all reside on my own computer.

UPDATE: After installing the SQL Server SP3 update, the results are exactly the same. I even created a brand-new database in Act! 6.0, and attempted to open it, only to get the same error.

I am completely stuck!

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]
This could possibly be a permissions issue. Make sure you are logged into the computer with full admin rights. If your user account belongs to more than one group (ie, Administrator;Debugger Users), then remove the other groups so you are only in the Adminstrators group, then reboot and retry. Also make sure full permissions have been granted to the Act! 6.0 database files. You may even need to create a new Admin user account or try another existing Admin account.
Message Edited by ghollister on 02-18-2010 01:19 PM

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Solution
Accepted by topic author gbundersea
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

I was indeed logged in as administrator, and you're right - it was almost certainly a permission issue. I spent the better part of a day researching ACLs, ACEs, DACLs, the true meaning of canonical order (sounds like a religion! Smiley Happy) and a host of other hardcore technical stuff, most of which I'd never heard of until this problem arose.

After my research, I rebooted in safe mode and went into properties>security for the ACT data folder. Windows warned me that the security settings for this folder weren't ordered properly, and asked if I wanted to proceed to reorder and correct settings. I did so, hoping that this would be the magic fix. I also set all permissions to full access. It didn't work the first time, so I read more and went back to try additional tweaks. Each time I did this, it involved 2 reboots (safe mode to make the change, normal mode to test it) so you can imagine the time it took!

All to no avail...Smiley Sad

I backed up the 6.0 data, then restored it to another machine on the network and tried opening it into my new 2009 progam. Same result!

Finally, I installed ACT 7.0, which had never been used, onto that machine. I then opened the 6.0 data into 7.0, and verified that it was all there. Then I copied the 7.0 files onto my computer, as 2009 gave me a different error when attempting to open them across the network. (But NOT the ACL error!)

With the 7.0 files on my local machine, I held my breath, opened them in 2009, and watched as it began the conversion process!

Finally, after about 2 days, lots of cussing, and way too much frustration, my data is now resting comfortably inside ACT 2009.

Thanks again for the suggestions! I hope my experience helps someone else who might someday face the same, seemingly insurmountable problem.