Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 2009 - Use Act! email or use Outlook?

Copper Contributor

Act! 2009 - Use Act! email or use Outlook?

[ Edited ]

I am setting up Act!2009 on my wife's Vista computer (Home Premium 64 bit). I'm uncertain whether to use the Act! email editor or Outlook.  I've researched it a bit and found this eNews page http://www.act.com/docs/enews/0801/smb/1/index.html that says

"The functionality available in the ACT! e-mail program includes all the features available through Outlook as well as the ability to attach e-mail messages to groups/companies, to create an activity from an e-mail message, and the ability to send ACT! contacts as attachments. "

It seems like the added features make using the Act! email a good idea.  But reading the posts here it seems like using Outlook is the more popular way to go.

I am hoping to get some opinions from people here as to the trade offs between the two, or just which is easier to use.

Her computer is running Office 2003.

Thanks

Message Edited by Vincenzo on 02-24-2009 07:07 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Act! 2009 - Use Act! email or use Outlook?

I'm wondering if there was no response here because most people just chose one email editor, never use the other, so they can't compare them?

Is it true that most just go ahead and use Outlook as the email editor?

Thanks

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Act! 2009 - Use Act! Email or use Outlook?

We recommend using ACT''s integration with Outlook because Microsoft's email client is a well established and familiar tool in the market place. Sage has done a good job with the integration and their emphasis on that suggests that they would prefer to focus their development efforts on their core strengths and let Microsoft deal with email.
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA
Copper Super Contributor

Outlook 2003 gets my vote. It's a great email program and as mentioned, it integrates very well with Act 2009

cheers

Joe

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

OK thanks.

I do want to use Outlook as the email editor, but I just came across this page  

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2298... 

on Act! configuration that says:

Note: If you choose the Microsoft Outlook option,..................... You must also disable Microsoft Office Word as the editor for Outlook e-mail messages

That may not work for my wife since she depends heavily on the spelling/grammer checkers in Word, and well as some of Word's advanced graphics features in creating an email signature.  

Have other users here found this to be true, that they are not able to use Word as the editor for Outlook when it is integrated with Act!?

Thanks

Message Edited by Vincenzo on 02-25-2009 10:37 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Yes that is true, and if you used word to create the signature (advanced edit from Outlook) you will need to rework the signature. Spell check is not affected. Phew you sure do your homework, good for you! B
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

The loss of the Word spell/grammar check is a big issue for her if in fact you cannot use Word.  I think I will just have to install and see what work arounds I can come up with.

I assume there is no harm in switching back and forth between using Act! email editor and using Outlook?

Thanks

Message Edited by Vincenzo on 02-25-2009 03:12 PM