Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2009 Unable to Access Restored DB from Another PC

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

Act 2009 Unable to Access Restored DB from Another PC

Act 2009 was running on a PC named ActHost on a WinXP peer-to-peer network without problems with the db being accessed by two other PC's (MrBig and Buttah) for a total of 3 licenses.

The ActHost died so I restored the db (named CCI) from a backup onto one of the other PC's (MrBig), naming the db CCImrbig and sharing it. MrBig can open the restored db without problems. However, the other PC (Buttah) cannot open the db on MrBig using a copy of CCImrbig.pad. The error is "Could not access the specified database."

Same symptoms if I restore the db to Buttah and try to access from ActHost. Each pc can see the shared folder and db files on the other PC but cannot open the Act db. PC's are running AVG antivirus but no firewalls other than windows firewall.

So, is anything special required when restoring a db from a backup? Any suggestions about where to look other than working my way through knowledgebase article 14148 Error: "Could not access the specified database"?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author docEdoc
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Act 2009 Unable to Access Restored DB from Another PC

That KB should be pretty helpful on dealing with the issue.  I would suggest trying and creating port exceptions on the firewall (even if its turned off) for TCP port 1433 and UDP port 1434.  Also, im not sure if it is listed in the KB but changing the name of the computer in the .pad file to the computers IP.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author docEdoc
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

That KB should be pretty helpful on dealing with the issue.  I would suggest trying and creating port exceptions on the firewall (even if its turned off) for TCP port 1433 and UDP port 1434.  Also, im not sure if it is listed in the KB but changing the name of the computer in the .pad file to the computers IP.

Tuned Listener

Zachk2445,

Thanks for the confirmation about the TCP ports.

For anyone who restores an Act db to a different PC, here's my notes on what I encountered and the fix.

The PC that failed (ActHost) had its Windows Firewall disabled and the two Act client PC's had Windows Firewall enabled. The two clients could connect to ActHost's shared db.

Restoring the db to either of the former clients (MrBig or Buttah) resulted in their enabled Windows Firewall blocking connections from the other client.  Disabling Windows Firewall on either MrBig or Buttah allowed the client to connect. However, this solution was not acceptable since it left Windows Firewall disabled.

I worked through Knowledge Base article 19420 How to Add ACT! by Sage and the SQL Instance to the Exception List for Windows® Firewall, adding exceptions for programs (sqlservr.exe and sqlbrowser.exe) and ports (SQL TCP 1433 and SQL UDP 1434). 

Rather than adding the current TCP Dynamic Port, which was other than 1433 as a port exception, I used the Server Configuration Manager to set the TCP Dynamic Port to 1433 (ActDiag > Server > Server Security > Server Conifguration Manager > OK > SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration > Protocols for ACT7 > TCP/IP > Properties > IP Addresses tab > TCP Dynamic Ports > 1433).

Why? After reading http://www.mattwoodward.com/blog/index.cfm?event=showEntry&entryID=01930619-FD0A-4F02-31B1BFC7D1D9A4... I wasn't sure whether the TCP Dynamic port might change in the future and thought using 1433 might be more stable. 

Someone who understands this stuff please comment on whether it is better to change the dynamic port to 1433 or add the current dynamic port number as described in KB 19420.