Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2009 Sync Vista Problem

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Act 2009 Sync Vista Problem

Unfortunately, my direct contact with Act was attributable to the one month period one gets after I upgraded.  That's expired now.  So, I am out in the woods too, now.  I too have been using Act since v. 1 (the old DOS program with Symantec).  Having used Act for so long, I simply don't have any user issues, as I am, like you, imminently familiar with it..  I not infrequently experience bugs with the program.  Some never are resolved.  (E.g.., emails almost never look the same when sent by Act as they do when they are composed, and there are often inexplicable changes in fonts, etc.  That's been true for years.)  Accordingly, I have spend hours and hours like you trying to find workarounds for these bugs.

It is simply unconscionable that Sage doesn't provide active and strong support to users experiencing bugs, but it simply doesn't.  Perhaps that's why Act has so many bugs and why they often are never resolved.  We are experiencing a classic example right now.  That issue of Act duplicating contacts when syncing with cell phones is by no means new and is not confined to the HTC Touch.  I have experienced it over the years with several PDA's and with several versions of Act.  

But, of course, since Sage selectively ignores bugs, it will never resolve that bug nor many of the others Act experiences.

[ Edited ]

Nami,

I have the same problem with my HTC - 6900. I have tried everything to get it to sync. Act 2008 and XP sync great but Act 2008/2009 in Vista will not sync. It is Act's Link driver that is the problem. It tries to syncs but refuses to send data. I tried Outlook and it works fine, but as soon as I request Act transfer it fails. I even bought Act 2009 to solve the issue but again Act as stipped me of more money Smiley Happy

KKaptain

Message Edited by KKaptain on 10-26-2008 04:18 PM

[ Edited ]

Hello KKaptain,

Yes I purchased ACT! 2009 also as I was assured that the issue would be resolved, I cannot begin to express how much issue (especially time) this little feature has caused me to day.

Finally I had enough and on my new laptop disabled the UAC in Vista then reinstalled the link from fresh and it worked fine and being IT I wanted to find out more then so I then enabled UAC again and it worked but then half way during sync I noticed that it was about duplicate all contacts so I then stopped it and disabled UAC again!

So from my experience this is timeline and notes for anyone who wishes to save time and money (I was having issues using Vista, ACT! 2008 or 2009 and Orange HTC Touch Pocket PC):

1. Don’t bother wasting time in attempting to get all working if is doesn’t within the first few minutes of installation after restart

2. Before you do anything disable UAC in vista

3. Install ACT! and/or setup/restore your DB

4.  Connect your Pocket PC and synchronise fully

5.  Once all synchronised edit the sync list and uncheck all the boxes (Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Notes and etc...)

6.  Synchronise unit again so that there is no sync data on the unit any longer

7.  Install the ACT! Link for Pocket PC and restart

8.  After restart plug-in the Pocket PC and allow a little software provided by ACT! install on the unit accordingly then restart the Pocket PC shortly after installation

9.  Once Pocket PC restarted plug in again and leave it for awhile! Mine took 10minutes just to start the ACT! synchronisation!!! even though it said completed you can see something is loading in the background!

10.  If it doesn’t sync the first time restart both the computer/laptop and the PPC again and try again

To be honest Sage ACT! has not bothered to resolve this issue since Vista is been out and still say that the sync will work perfectly.

Since I have synchronised I have new items that is bothering me now, one being that the companies do not get synchronised which means you have to add the company tel numbers to the contacts also however if you add it to more than one contact you may not have the name showing up when they call from that number as the unit will not know which to show you!! but I guess I should be grateful that I got this far after 1.5Yr!

Anyway I hope this helps whoever that reads this article, I’ll be grateful if you could all let me know once/if you try these steps Smiley Happy

Good Luck 

Nami

Nami IT Solutions Ltd (www.namiuk.com)

Message Edited by nami on 10-26-2008 04:51 PM
Message Edited by nami on 10-26-2008 04:52 PM

[ Edited ]

Dear nami...

Fire them all at Act Tech department (as in the past I have never had any luck or good advice from Act Tech Department.) and hire you... it worked for me... I just unchecked UAC... and unchecked all syncing items then rechecked Act Cotacts and Activities... then re-synced. Mine started ok and fast...

KKaptain

I have been working with this solution or several hours... I have an addition problem... it will sync once then it will not sync again I have to uncheck Contact/Activities then make a new additon to the act file to force it to sync with HTC... it then clears my phone contacts and fails to to sync and I have to go thru your suggestion every time; are you having the same problem?

KKaptain

Message Edited by KKaptain on 10-27-2008 12:26 AM

Hi I’m glad that part of it worked for you Smiley Wink

To be honest once mine synchronised I didn’t want to play around with it any more so I just tick the boxes to have ACT overwrite the handset every time rather than a two way sync and carried out one final sync which I noticed it did not carry over the last calendar change I did though it did update a contact which I updated as test?!  So I guess it doesn’t matter how much we try and figure it out the ACT! Link for Pocket PC has issues from devotement stage for Vista and is not for me and you to try and figure it out, trust me I have spent a Year and half looking into this!

Sorry I could not help with that last part however let me know if you have any joy with it as I’m sure many others will use these notes and hopefully Sage ACT! would as well too Smiley Tongue

Take care

Nami

Nami IT Solutions Ltd (www.namiuk.com)

Thank you...

I have it resynced... I will not update my phone till I have a number of new entries in act... I have a number of records in the phone now... thus I am not risking another 2 hours to update the info on phone... Smiley Happy. Hopefully the Act gods... can modify their lab creation... Smiley Happy

KKaptain

KKaptain / rconant, please check your private messages (yellow envelope towards upper right).

Hi,

If your still looking at this problem your not the only one, I have an Ipaq 612C and have had a mile of trouble.

System is Vista on Desktop, Ipaq 612c Windows Mobile 6. Act version 9.0

Solution I found was:

You must install Act 9.0 first on your PC then install Windows Mobile 6 then install Act for pocketpc link.

Set the setting for Act for pocket PC after you have opened Act at least once.

Restart your computer, then do a sync setup with windows mobile 6.

Then go to the User Accounts in control panel turn off UCA and restart again.

You can now sync and it should work because it does for me.

Go back to control Panel and turn on UCA control again.

Here's the tricky part, if you re sync again later you'll double your contacts if you haven't turned UCA back on.

Now next time you sync all your contacts and calender get wiped away, so after that happens back to Control Panel turn UCA off, restart.

You may have to reset act link for pocketpc, but when you sync you'll get all contacts back and calender all upto date and no doubles.

It's a pain but it works.