Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 2009 Setup Problem

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Act! 2009 Setup Problem

Hi -- When I attempt to install my Act 2009 upgrade (2008 works fine), the installation doesn't retain my setup preferences for e-mail, calendar, etc.  Each time I start the program, the setup wizard starts over from the beginning.  I've installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled numerous times trying to resolve the problem, and have finally gone back to using Act 2008.  Is this symptomatic of of Protexis Licensing Service issue I've seen elsewhere in this Forum, or is it something else altogether?  I'd like to use my 2009 version, but I'm at a complete loss.

I'm running 32-bit Windows Vista Ultimate on a quad-core Intel processor, with 3GB of RAM.  Suggestions are more than welcome.  Thank you!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author WMH98296
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Act! 2009 Setup Problem -- SOLVED!!!

Hi -- Thank you for the suggestions.  I couldn't get this to work, and even ended up causing the same problem to arise in my previously working Act! 2008.  Finally, I uninstalled 2008 and MS SQL Server, and deleted every file or folder I could find in the system that looked related to Act!  Then, I reinstalled 2008, only to find the Setup Wizard continued to recycle endlessly, reseting my preferences.  I then installed Act! 2009 on top of 2008, letting it automatically uninstall 2008.  Sure enough, the Setup Wizard still recycled, resetting my preferences every time.

Before abandoning Act altogether, I did one more pass through the forum.  I found a discussion about deleting the Preferences file, so I tried that and restarted Act.  The Setup Wizard cycled through one time.  I closed Act and restarted it.  No more Setup Wizard.  That was it.  YOU NEED TO DELETE THE PREFERENCES FILE.  You'll find that file in Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Act\Act for Windows 11.  This solution might also work for those with the same recurring Setup Wizard problem in Act 2008.

Well -- I was about to retire Act and move on to a something else, but now I don't have to.  Thanks and good luck.

BH

Seattle, WA

View solution in original post

All Replies

Re: Act! 2009 Setup Problem

I've tried everything even remotely hinted at in this forum to alleviate the problem, all to no avail.  I give up.  Version 11 is a veritable cornucopia of software bugginess, so I've backed off to Version 10, which seems to work fine.  Maybe Version 12 will be better.  Thanks, all.

I failed to mention that while attempting to resolve the Setup Wizard problem, I encountered several new problems.  One was the "Object reference not set to an instance of the object" problem cited by a number of other forum guests.  As I indicated in my initial posting, Act! 2008 is running great so I've abandoned 2009 (version 11).
Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello, I am sorry you are having issues with your 11.0 version of ACT!.  I don't know why you are encountering the issues reporting, but I would like to try to help you work through these issues to get you on board with the 11.x release.

• The first thing I would like you to uninstall your existing ACT! product from the Add/Remove programs option under Control Panel.
  • Next, under C:\Users\My Login Name\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT for Windows 10, archive (zip) up all the directories and files.  Following this, you can either move the existing directories and files else delete them.  Note, fill in the "My Login Name" with your account information.
  • Now, delete C:\Users\My Login Name\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT for Windows 11 folders and files, as these are not in use anyway.  Again, fill in the "My Login Name" with your account information.
  • Reinstall the 11.0 product.  Following the install, when prompted, allow the application to backup the database, then allow it to update to the 11.0 product.
  • You will now need to setup your preferences via Setup Assistant again to your liking.  These preferences should now stick between opening and closing ACT!.

Once this is done, you should be able to use ACT! 11.0 as expected.

Please consider taking these steps and posting back your results.

thanks,

-Matt

Message Edited by MMcFadden on 12-30-2008 02:19 PM
Matthew McFadden
Solution
Accepted by topic author WMH98296
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Hi -- Thank you for the suggestions.  I couldn't get this to work, and even ended up causing the same problem to arise in my previously working Act! 2008.  Finally, I uninstalled 2008 and MS SQL Server, and deleted every file or folder I could find in the system that looked related to Act!  Then, I reinstalled 2008, only to find the Setup Wizard continued to recycle endlessly, reseting my preferences.  I then installed Act! 2009 on top of 2008, letting it automatically uninstall 2008.  Sure enough, the Setup Wizard still recycled, resetting my preferences every time.

Before abandoning Act altogether, I did one more pass through the forum.  I found a discussion about deleting the Preferences file, so I tried that and restarted Act.  The Setup Wizard cycled through one time.  I closed Act and restarted it.  No more Setup Wizard.  That was it.  YOU NEED TO DELETE THE PREFERENCES FILE.  You'll find that file in Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Act\Act for Windows 11.  This solution might also work for those with the same recurring Setup Wizard problem in Act 2008.

Well -- I was about to retire Act and move on to a something else, but now I don't have to.  Thanks and good luck.

BH

Seattle, WA

Thanks for your help with this issue.  I have been an ACT user since its early DOS days, and while I appreciate the advancements made over the years, I wish they also offered a less robust version.  I have stopped upgrading to many of the newer Microsoft Office versions, and have stopped at ACT! 2009 as I just don't need the additional features...and bugs that usually come with them. 

Thanks again for your concise post.  It solved the problem and now I can get back to reinstalling all my other programs after Vista drove me to Windows 7.  Hope it's not more of the same, or I might just go pack to a typewrite and a fax machine...if they're still available.

Ah, the "good old days."