Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2009 Problems - SQL Server - Tough One! PLEASE HELP!!!

Act 2009 Problems - SQL Server - Tough One! PLEASE HELP!!!

[ Edited ]

Okay, here is my info:

• I have a Tablet PC - Fujitsu with Windows XP Teblet Edition
  • Office 2007
  • Lotus Notes
  • I work through a VPN for my company.
  • Trend Micro Office Scan
  • I use a company CRM that is tied somehow to the SQL Microsoft Server.
  • I used to use Act 2007 then when they upgraded my computer to Office 2007 I wasn't able to re-install.
  • I bought Act 2009 and have tried to install.
  • During installation I got the error message that said it was unable to install SQL Microsoft Server.
  • I finished the install, but now it won't let me open any databases or create a new one.
  • I tried to delete the SQL Server and it screwed up my company's CRM so I can't do that.

Is there a way to set up another SQL Server for Act and not touch the one for my company's SQL?

I am going crazy!!!! Please help!!!

Thanks!

Josh

Message Edited by josh007 on 03-17-2010 08:30 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2009 Problems - SQL Server - Tough One! PLEASE HELP!!!

Yes, but you really would benefit from a consultant taking a look at this.  You've probably spent hours on it, and could do the same again.  Not that we can wave a magic wand, but we do run into these issues more than the regular user, and most likely could fix it relatively quickly.
Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

Thanks Richard! I want to get this taken care of. What do I need to do to use the services of a consultant? 
Platinum Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Josh007,

Can you tell us what version of SQL the company's program is using?  If it is using Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express, then Act! will need to create it's instance within the same installation of SQL.  You can't have 2 copies of SQL Server 2005 Express installed running side by side.  Adding an additional instance to the existing SQL installation should not affect the existing programs. 

If you'd like to contact an ACC, you can find a directory at this link: Find an ACC.  Of course there are several that frequent the community, they may want to contact you via Private Messages.

Message Edited by gmartin on 03-18-2010 01:15 PM
Greg Martin
Sage

It looks like it is SQL Server 2005 Express. Any help would be very much appreciated. If I cannot do it myself I will definitely get with one of the consultants.
Platinum Super Contributor

When installing Act!, it should recognize the install of SQL 2005 Express and create the Act7 instance without affecting the other instance(s), but here are instructions for creating the instance manually.  Once created, you can then install Act! and it will connect to that instance.  If you are unable to create the instance manually there may be other factors involved due to the other application and having someone look at it would be the best next step.

Manually create Act7 instance (SQL Express)

Greg Martin
Sage