Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2009/Outlook/Tungsten TX

Act 2009/Outlook/Tungsten TX

Hi just got the new ACT 2009 and a Tungsten TX. If I'm out on sales calls is there a way to download information (have the wireless keyboard) about my call that will sync into outlook and or ACT or preferably both?

Thanks so much! I have lots to learn.

If anyone can suggest the best Palm manuals and if I can find a manual for ACT 2009.

Thanks so much!

Sharie Kearns

www.saspromos.com

Re: Act 2009/Outlook/Tungsten TX

I am facing a similar situation after being happy with ACT V8 and ACT for Palm for use with my Treo.  I have been told that Sage will not be releasing a new ACT for Palm due to poor demand and our choices are much more limited with Palm devices.

I will soon be changing computers and will experiment more, but I think for now the best option is to use ACT Link to synchronize the contacts (configure your contacts into specific groups and only sync the group(s) that you want on the Tx if you have a lot of contacts).  You will have to synchronize the calendar with Outlook separately through ACT (see the FAQ section for more details).

The PDA integration was ideal with ACT for Palm since you were able to easily synchronize everything including opportunity information so as I see it ACT2009 is a step forward (maybe 2) for the improved Outlook integration, but a big step backwards for mobile/PDA functionality.

Your last paragraph was a bit disappointing. It would make so much sense to be able to type information on a sales call into our palms, come home and sync. I had looked into other contact manager products to buy but perhaps not well enough. Are you aware if goldmine has this feature?  Thanks!

The PDA integration was ideal with ACT for Palm since you were able to easily synchronize everything including opportunity information so as I see it ACT2009 is a step forward (maybe 2) for the improved Outlook integration, but a big step backwards for mobile/PDA functionality.

I have not looked at Goldmine.  I admit to assuming Sage would be releasing a new ACT for Palm with the 2009 version as it seemed logical to me that they would offer a complete solution for the best possible sales tool.  Like you I am very disappointed, but it seems as though us Palm users are very much in the minority these days.
Copper Elite Contributor

Sharie,

The ACT! Quickstudy Guide is the best source to get up to speed with ACT! 2009.  It is both informative and easy to follow with good examples.  You can use the Demo database to practice the examples with from the book.  As for the Palm issue yes I do remember the earlier Palm days and it's not uncommon to find folks that used Palms for years as essential business tools.  It would make more sense to use an add-on product like Handheld Contact or Companionlink which are much less costly than switching to another database platform.  Each of the previously mentioned products have been around for a number of years and are well known.   

I have used Companionlink and am currently using Handheld Contact with a Treo Pro Windows Mobile Device. Both solutions are unacceptable when compared to using ACT for Palm.

I recommend that anyone who wants to have ACT on their PDA to NOT upgrade to ACT 2009 but stay with ACT 2008 and use ACT for Palm 3.0  You will have the BEST setup that way. I wish I had been told this.

Agreed,

Does anyone know if it is possible to exchange ACT2009 for ACT2008 "upgrade"?

I would like to think that there are a higher concentration of Palm users out there in sales related activities than the overall market share numbers suggest.  IMHOSmiley Tongue  I am still considering reverting back to my ACT8 with ACT for Palm 2.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Once the database is converted to ACT! 2009 there isn't anyway to revert the database back to ACT! 2008. You would need a backup that was done with ACT! 2008 to do the revert.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks for the head's up.  I realize that fact and know that I will have to transfer my ACT8 database and then enter in the contacts that have been directly entered in ACT11 over the last few months.

This would be a case of stepping back in order to have much better and more efficient mobile performance.  I will also look at the option of exporting the new contact information to a document and then use AddressGrabber to transfer to ACT10.  This way I will only lose out on history, opportunity and custom field data.

I am finding it hard to adjust on the road after being fully synchronized on my PDA.

Update...

I am evaluating DoubleLook which automatically syncs my defined ACT contact, activities, notes and task information with Outlook and then I sync Outlook with my PDA.

So far this appears to work and will cost the same as purchasing an ACT for Palm (which I still believe was and is the best in portable solutions; whether it be for PalmOS or any MS version).