Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 2009 Freezes When Selecting .adt Template

RBB

Act! 2009 Freezes When Selecting .adt Template

[ Edited ]

Hello all, I'm new to the board.  Nice place you've got here.

I'm having issues with a fresh install of Act! 2009.  This was installed on a new Desktop PC.  The HP is using the 64-bit Vista OS with 8 GB RAM.  The desktop PC also has Office 2007 installed and Act! is configured to use MS Office as the document editor.

Most, though not every time, Act is locking up when I attempt to use an .adt file.  When I click "Write", then "Other", I'm taken to a location where I can choose from a list of previously created templates.  As soon as I click once on a template, Act locks.  I'm not double-clicking, nor am I clicking once and hitting OK.  As soon as a template is higlighted, the app locks hard.

When this occurs, I'm not able to end the Act! 2009 task in Task Manager.  I can only occasionally end the Act process - and when it does work it takes several minutes for the program to go away.  When killing the process doesn't work, the only solution is to reboot the PC.

These templates are on a network and are usable by others without issue.  The templates worked correctly through Act! 2009 on the PC replaced by this one.

There are two other Vista 64 machines in the office - both laptops with 4 GB RAM - that are able to use these templates without issue.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Act and SQL 2005.  I've installed the latest 32-bit version of Adobe Flash successfully.  I've configured the Windows firewall to allow Act and the sqlserver and sqlmonitor apps (IIRC - this is off the top of my head) per the instructions in the Sage Knowledgebase as well as an exception for the TCP and UDP ports.

Kinda stumped here - any thoughts would be most appreciated.

EDIT - Oh, and for the record, the 11.1 update has been installed, but had no effect.  The issue existed before the update and was not fixed by it. 

-RBB

Message Edited by RBB on 05-20-2009 01:39 PM
Bronze Contributor

Re: Act! 2009 Freezes When Selecting .adt Template

Did you try copying the templates locally and seeing if the problem exists?

Check on addins in Word as it might be one or more are not playing well in 64bit mode

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
RBB

Yes, the problem still occurs when copied locally.  The templates do need to remain on the shared folder, as they're used by all in the office, but I did copy them to the C: drive as a test.

The only Word plugin installed is Act's.

Thanks for the input,

-RBB

Bronze Contributor

RBB given that the same templates are working on other machines and exhibit the same problem locally it woudl tell me that the problem might be in Word. I would make sure that you have the latest service packs for Word and also if this does not make it any different try doign a word repair.

Failing this locate the normal template in word and delete it as it will be recreated next time you open Word. I have seen this cause issues when it is corrupted.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.