Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2009 Exception on startup

Act 2009 Exception on startup

I am using ACT 2009 on Vista Ultimate 64bit, but for the last 4 months I have not been able to open ACT. I have uninstalled and reinstalled run updates and removed updates but I always get "exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation". This has not been problem but since I ran updates on my laptop which is 32bit Vista Business last week, both systems do the same thing. I tried to repair, uninstall and reinstall, and running updates and backing them off and I still have the same issue. Has anyone seen this? Older versions did have a fix but the psikey file does not appear to exist with 2009.

The log viewer message makes no sense to me:

Error Message:    at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._SerializationInvoke(Object target, SignatureStruct& declaringTypeSig, SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.SerializationInvoke(Object target, SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context)
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.CompleteISerializableObject(Object obj, SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context)
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.FixupSpecialObject(ObjectHolder holder)
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.DoFixups()
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Deserialize(HeaderHandler handler, __BinaryParser serParser, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
   at System.Resources.ResourceReader.DeserializeObject(Int32 typeIndex)
   at System.Resources.ResourceReader.LoadObjectV2(Int32 pos, ResourceTypeCode& typeCode)
   at System.Resources.ResourceReader.LoadObject(Int32 pos)
   at System.Resources.ResourceReader.ResourceEnumerator.get_Entry()
   at System.Resources.ResourceReader.ResourceEnumerator.get_Current()
   at System.ComponentModel.ComponentResourceManager.FillResources(CultureInfo culture, ResourceSet& resourceSet)
   at System.ComponentModel.ComponentResourceManager.FillResources(CultureInfo culture, ResourceSet& resourceSet)
   at System.ComponentModel.ComponentResourceManager.ApplyResources(Object value, String objectName, CultureInfo culture)
   at System.ComponentModel.ComponentResourceManager.ApplyResources(Object value, String objectName)
   at Act.Shared.Diagnostics.DefectLogger.LogDefectDialog.InitializeComponent()
   at Act.Shared.Diagnostics.DefectLogger.LogDefectDialog..ctor(Exception passedInException)
   at Act.Application.Act.SubmitToSupportClient(Exception exception)
   at Act.Application.Act.Main(String[] args)

Please Help.

Re: Act 2009 Exception on startup

Try rebuilding your preferences.

1. Close ACT!
  2. Navigate to the following location:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<User_Name>\Application Data\ACT\ACT for Windows <version>
        For VistaC:\Users\<User_Name>\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT for Windows <version>
  3. Delete the following files if present: preferencesBak.XMLpreferencesBak3.xmlpreferencesBak6.xml,preferencesBak9.xml
  4. Open the Preferences folder and delete USPreferences206.xml and USPrefrences208.xml.old
  5. Open ACT!

Re: Act 2009 Exception on startup

Hi David,

Im using windows vista and installed the act 2009 premium. I did exactly what you have posted but still the error: "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation" still comes out when start the program.

please advice on what i could do next.

Thanks