Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2009 - Connecting users online?

Act 2009 - Connecting users online?

I am very small business (2 people) and basically a non-profit because I am in fundraising. Anyways, I bought ACT 2009 a couple years back and it has been great for just me. But now I have a sales person that lives 5 hours away and I want us both to be able to access the same ACT database over the web. How can I do this?

I don't want to purchase a new webbased CRM system so I am hoping to make this work.

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Act 2009 - Connecting users online?

Well there are a bunch of unaswered items here regarding the technology you and your partner/coworker are using, so I will make some assumptions...

1) Since you have had just one user, that you are using the "Standard" version of Act! 2009.  In itself ACT! Standard (now called "Pro" in the US with the intoduction of ACT! 2011), did not offer a web version of the application.

2)  You and your partner are using a supported version of Windows.

Without spending a (relatively) significant amount of time and/or cash to get to a place where you can actually have a "web based" version of ACT!, hosted or other wise, for sake of simplicity what I would recommend, based upon simple assumptions above, is that you purchase a second copy of Act! 2009 (make sure it is the same version - you cannot intermingle ACT! standard and ACT! Premium in the same installation base).

Install ACT! on your partner's PC, create a remote database from your PC - which will be the "server" - here is a link to detailed instruction at Act! support - http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1519...

(If this link is not working - for some reason I could not shrink it - go to ACT! support Knowledgebase and search for article # 15192)

Then you can use Hamachi or something similar that will provide the "link" between the two machines - even if you are moving around and so is your partner - as long as you have an internet connection - you will still be able to sync.

Advantage of using Windows is you have all of the features whether you have internet access or not.

Also, very inexpensive and relatively easy and quick to get up and running.

Hope that helps!

Thanks that is great.

Platinum Elite Contributor

If you need instructions to set up Hamachi for use for syncing ACT!, please see KB Article 23333.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.