Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 2009 Address Book not configured in Outlook 2007 running on Windows 7

Act! 2009 Address Book not configured in Outlook 2007 running on Windows 7

We get intermittent issues when we log on to our 6 PC's each morning.  Sometimes (not always) we get the error that says the Act Address Book is not properly configured and asks if we want to configure it now.  In Outlook we configure it by browsing to the database and entering the Act username and password.  The program thinks for a long time and then says the "database cannot be found or is locked.  Contact the System Administrator".  Yesterday I configured it 5 times on 1 pc and 3 times on another PC.  The in a last huff of frustration tried it once more on both PC's and they both accpted the configuration.   All worked fine the rest of the day yesterday and now this morning I have 1 pc where I cannot configure the Act Address book again. 

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Act! 2009 Address Book not configured in Outlook 2007 running on Windows 7

Hello PurseyD,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

The errors indicate that Outlook could not connect to the Act! database (I know, restating the obvious) - are you using a single shared db or does each computer have a local database? 

When you get the message from Outlook to configure the address book, are you able to open/launch the Act! database at that time?  How long does it take to launch Act!?

Assuming this is a shared db: When you receive this error message - try browsing from the  computer to the host through Windows Explorer to ensure there are no prompts by the network for a Windows User/Password.

Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks! and Thank you for your detailed questions:

We use a shared database on a server.  All desktops are able to connect to the Act database when launching Act.  Launching Act is very quick...10 seconds?

I need a little more detail on your suggestion below.  I am not sure how to browse from the desktop to the host through Windows Explorer.  But I have closed all applications on the desktop to do a restart and did not see any odd error messages on the desktop. 

Platinum Super Contributor

To browse through Windows Explorer, double click on the 'My Computer' (XP) or 'Computer' (Vista/Win7) icon, then click on Network places and browse to the server database location.  If there is a problem accessing that location, there will be a window presented asking for a Windows User/Password.

10 seconds to launch - that's pretty good and shouldn't be long enough for Outlook to timeout.

Did this problem just start recently, or has it been ongoing for a long time?

Another test to determine if it is database specific is to create a new database on the server and set it up in the Outlook Address Book > then see if it fails to connect as well.  If it fails to connect, the issue would seem to come from an environmental variable.

Try adding exceptions to your Windows Firewall or any anti-virus software (on the server) so that they will not interfere with the communication between Act! and Outlook: KB Article 25125

Greg Martin
Sage

Yes!  The Windows Firewall was the issue.  Seems MSFT sent down some sort of update to the firewall.  My IT guy had to add Microsoft Outlook to the list of firewall exceptions for all the Windows 7 PC's.  The XP's seem to be okay at the moment.