Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 2009 (11) running on SBS 2008

Copper Contributor
Posts: 35
Country: UK

Act! 2009 (11) running on SBS 2008

[ Edited ]

Hello all, I have a question about SQL running on my SBS 2008 server.


Act was running really slow and I found out that the main culprit was the free Forefront Security was is installed along with SBS.


After removing this it freed up 35% of my 4 gig memory on the server. (which leaves me with 65% free)


Looking at the resource monitor I have 3 instances of sqlserver.exe running at the same time.


Is this right or is one or two of them the SQLs that comes with SBS and if so does anyone know if its OK to uninstall them..?...(how?) 


Any help would be much appreciated......

Message Edited by seb414 on 11-12-2009 06:16 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor
Posts: 6,537
Country: USA

Re: Act! 2009 (11) running on SBS 2008

Each application that uses SQL will have it's own instance of SQL Server (ACT!'s is called "ACT7"), and you will have a process running for each instance. Before ending these processes you need to see what they are for. From your Start menu, type services.msc in the Search box to open up your local services window. Scroll down until you see a grop of services starting with "SQL Server". Right-click on the ones you are not sure of and choose Properties to see more info about them. Consult with Microsoft or go to their website before shutting down any SQL services.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.