Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2008 sql problems

Act 2008 sql problems

Hi I recently upgraded from Act 6 to Act 2008. It ran very slow and I was told I didn't have enough ram on my computer. I only had 500 mb needed and they said the program needs a miniumum of 1Gig. So I planned on upgrading my computer to 2 gig but now the program wont open. I get the error "your database cannot be accessed. Check your network connections and veryify that your database server is available." so I disabled my firewall i think and it didnt help. Then I double clicked on the sql icon on my desktop and it didnt open , just gave me an error message. so to top it all off my burner isnt working so I cant burn a copy of my database from Act 6. So what I would like to do is find out what I should do as luckly I still have act 6 on my computer but can burn the database onto a disc for a back up. I would like to find out what would happen if I try to uninstall Act 2008 and then try and reload it. Will the sql reload , Will it recognize or ask for my Act 6 database ? Or I could go buy another computer with the appropriate gigs but I still have the problem of getting the Act 6 database off my current computer without a working burner??? Help
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Act 2008 sql problems

There are a few solutions to this -

1. Has your database moved - if so re-create the pad file by deleteing it and opening the db from the adf file

2. Is sql server running - click start -> run -> services.msc -> OK --- in the services box locate sql server (act7) right click on it and select start

3. Re-install just sql - put your act 10 cd and vrowse to the dependencies folder.  doublie click sql install and you will get a message to uninstall items - go to control pannel - add/remove programs and uninstall the items specified.  Restart your machine.  Run sql install again, this time follow it through and it will reinstall the sql part of act for you.

Tom
Copper Contributor

Hi

I have Win XP Pro, SP 2, and I had multiple problems after my installation of ACT! 2008 Standard. I received the following advice, and it worked for me: After uninstalling the original installation of ACT! 2008, perform a reinstallation. During the reinstallation, place both ACT! and Microsoft SQL Server in their default folders (Directories). In my case, I uninstalled both ACT! and Microsoft SQL Server 2005, the Express version using Control Panel's Add/Remove dialog box. The Knowledge Base document entitled "How to Uninstall ACT! By Sage 2008 (10.0) will explain how to do the uninstallation. Sorry, I don't know how to place a direct link to this document in a forum post.

Before doing the reinstall, I was told to run a "Selective Startup". To do this, go to the System Configuration Utility at Start \ Run and enter msconfig.exe then press the Enter key. On the General tab, check the "Selective Startup" box, and then UNCHECK the "Load Startup Items". At this point, reboot. After you are logged back in, perform the reinstall while you are still in "Selective Startup" mode.

This worked for one computer. However, for my other computer, I had to do more. This time, I was told to return to the System Configuration Utility, and in addition to UNCHECKING the "Load Startup Items" box as before, I was to navigate to the Services tab, and then to UNCHECK the box at the far left of each entry that did not have Microsoft in the Manufacturer's column. After you are through, reboot, and after you are logged back in, perform the reinstall.

Good Luck.
Tuned Listener

I had the same problem, as I moved a SQL database from one folder to another folder. It would not run any longer, as the database pointed to the old location.

First, I stopped the SQL Server (ACT7) to be able to move the files.

Then, I moved all databasefiles named x.x from the one folder to the wanted folder.

Then I restarted the SQL Server (ACT7) with click start - > run - > services.msc (as described by you).

Then I started actdiag (from run), and deleted the database that I just had moved (I was careful to select the right one).

Then, I re-created the pad file from ACT! 2008, by opening the .adf file.

This worked perfect! :-)