Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2008 crashing

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Act 2008 crashing

Boy, my Act 2008 is crashing constantly, starting a couple of weeks ago.  Anyone having this problem?  I'm assuming Sage isn't keeping up with Windows XP upgrades, as this is the only thing changing on my PC.  Any suggestions?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hines Pointer
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Act 2008 crashing

Roy Laudenslage provided two suggestions that really did the trick.  Expanding my laptop's Virtual Memory from 1524 - 3048 to 4092 - 4092 helped some. Excluding Act from AVG's autoscan seems to have helped a great deal.  I did this by going to AVG's resident shield and listing two files as exceptions: my documents/Act and application data/Act.  Both files were under the documents and settings folder tree.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Elite Contributor

Not sure what you mean by Sage keeping up with XP upgrades.

What are the circumstances of the crash you are experiencing?

What is the sequence that produces the crash, launch, program operation, etc. ?

thanks

Matthew McFadden
Copper Contributor

I asked about XP upgrades, as that's the one thing that has recently changed on my PC.

The crashes occur during operation.  I request a look-up for a person by last name or a company by name, nothing happens, and then I get a notification that the application is not responding.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Still unclear what your expectation may be in terms of Microsoft updates and Sage.  The problem you are experiencing is likely unique to your environment and not wide spread.

What version of ACT! are you using?  You can find this information ACT! application's Help|About.  There should be a number such as 10.x.x.x.

Additionally, what tier is this product, Standard tier or Premium tier?  You should also be able to get this through Help|About in the product.

thanks

Matthew McFadden
Copper Contributor

Re XP, you answered my question: whether the problem is systemic.

Re version: Act by Sage (i.e standard) 2008, Version 10.0.3.182 Hotfix 1

Database: 52+ MB; 2,340 contacts

Moved royal4mac's reply to own thread.

Hines Pointer,

Can you test the same lookups within the demo or new database.  If you do not experience the freeze/crashes within a different database, proceed with running database maintenance from Tools > Database Maintenance > Check and Repair.

Copper Contributor

I ran the database maintenance/check and repair.  I also checked for duplicates.   Afterwards I've had the problem once.  Could the size of my database or number of contacts crossed Act 2008's capacity, perhaps overwhelming database lookups?  Also, could my also having 1-2 browsers, Outlook Express and an Office application open have a negative impact?  It hasn't in the past.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hines Pointer
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Roy Laudenslage provided two suggestions that really did the trick.  Expanding my laptop's Virtual Memory from 1524 - 3048 to 4092 - 4092 helped some. Excluding Act from AVG's autoscan seems to have helped a great deal.  I did this by going to AVG's resident shield and listing two files as exceptions: my documents/Act and application data/Act.  Both files were under the documents and settings folder tree.