Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 2008 and windows 7

Act! 2008 and windows 7

I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 7.  I use Act! 2008 and have everything installed.  When I tried to open my Act! program I received this error:  type initializer for 'protexis.   ' threw an exception.  After 'protexis.  ' there is a square.

Can anyone help me with this exception so I can get into the program?

Copper Contributor

Re: Act! 2008 and windows 7

There's a knowledgebase article on this.  You can find it here:

http://tinyurl.com/ydfyqnr

I'd suggest running through the suggested steps in this article.

Hope that helps!

Adrian VanderLaan
Professional Computer Management Inc.
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Platinum Elite Contributor

I assume you're aware that ACT! 2008 doesn't officially support Windows 7 (which is only supported with ACT! 2010)? It does run for some users, but might have issues that can't be fixed.

Also, if you have a 64-bit version of Windows, ACT! 2008 won't have any chance of running as 64-bit OS support was only added with ACT! 2009

I just want to make sure that I am clear on this.  We are using ACT 2008 Premium on one laptop.  The laptop has Windows 7 32-bit installed.  We had made the mistake of installing 64-bit.  So my question is...Does ACT 2008 run on Windows 7 32-bit version?  The user is having syncing issues and I am wondering if it is caused by Windows 2007.

Thanks,

Brendan

Hello Brendan,

While we have had some users who have installed ACT! 2008 on Windows 7 and have not reported any issues, ACT! 2008 was not designed or tested on that O/S and is therefore not supported. Most commonly, I have heard issues in the areas of  Outlook/Email and MS Office integration and some syncing issues. You could try disabling User Account Control in Windows 7 if you have not already done so. ACT! 2009 was the first version supported on 64-bit systems and ACT! 2010 was the first version to be certified for Windows 7.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Bummer.  So will it work if we put a XP virtual machine on the Windows 7 laptop and the user runs ACT 2008 in the virtual machine?

Yes, that should work just fine.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Brendan,

While that will work, you may want to try install it using Windows 7 32 bit.  Although XP Compatibility mode works, we haven't had good feedback on performance from users that we've set up with it.

I realise it's not a supported setup, but not supported doesn't always mean it won't work.  We've had users running ACT! 2008 successfully and syncing on Windows 7 32 bit.

Might be worth a try for you.  Worst case you can always revert back to installing it in the XP Mode VPC.

Adrian VanderLaan
Professional Computer Management Inc.
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

I have been using Act 2008 with my mac o/s windows 7... but for some reason after 2 years it's decided not to work!!!!   Sage runs and I can see the tab at the bottom of the page, but when I click the tab to open page.... Nothing, besides the small window!